PERD has produced 595 reports since its creation.
› View Our Reports Online
› Employment Opportunities
National State Auditor's Association Peer Review
2014 Peer Review of the Performance Evaluation & Research Division
West Virginia Performance Review Act Schedule
Scheduled Agency Reviews:
- the Department of Revenue and the Department of Commerce
- the Department of Environmental Protection and the Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety
Scheduled Regulatory Board Reviews:
- Board of Accountancy; Board of Respiratory Care Practitioners; and Board of Social Work Examiners
- Board of Examiners of Psychologists; Board of Optometry; and Board of Veterinary Medicine
Local Public Library Audit Requirements
Division of Personnel
A letter report regarding the Division of Personnel's role in the public employee grievance process
The Library Commission provides both financial assistance and management advice to schools and public libraries in the state.
Reports of Interest
Regional Education Service Agencies
The Regional Service Purpose of Providing Educational Services to Public School Systems Is Needed, But Carrying It Out Through the Concept of Autonomous Agencies Is Inefficient.
Institutions for Higher Eduation-WVU Parkersburg
General Services Division
The General Services Division is finding it difficult to properly maintain state facilities because the Department of Administration purchases properties with little concern of the financial implications.
A toll-free turnpike could cost the state an estimated $30 million annually; the Legislature should make a final decision on the future of the Turnpike; Tourist Information Centers still operate uneconomically.
DHHR - Bureau for Children and Families
The Bureau needs to establish adequate and uniform safety measures statewide for Protective Service workers when services are delivered outside the office.
Broadband Technology Opportunities Program
Failure to comply with state purchasing laws in the procurement of Broadband Technology Opportunities Program Towers.
Who We Are
The Performance Evaluation and Research Division (PERD) has been in operation since 1994 as a division of the West Virginia Legislative Auditor’s Office. PERD conducts performance evaluations under the Legislative Auditor’s authority – Chapter 4, Article 2, Section 5
of the WV Code – and agency reviews and regulatory board reviews per the West Virginia Performance Review Act – Chapter 4, Article 10
. Also, the Division conducts research on special topics as requested by the Legislature or mandated by separate legislation. Most reviews are presented by PERD staff to the Joint Committee on Government Operations
and the Joint Committee on Government Organization.
It is our mission to provide useful information to the Legislature for legislative decision-making and hold state government accountable for its performance by:
• measuring the performance of state agencies by measuring outputs, outcomes, compliance and impact in relation to the purpose for which they were created;
• determining whether there is still a need for an agency or program;
• measuring the impact of agencies on citizens of the state; and
• reporting findings and recommendations to the Legislature in a concise and timely manner.
John Sylvia, Director
Performance Evaluation & Research Division
State Capitol Complex
Building 1, Room 314W
Charleston, West Virginia 25305
Phone: (304) 347-4890
Fax: (304) 347-4939
Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST)
› Employment Opportunities
› Staff Directory