H. B. 4433(By Delegates Williams, Ashley, Cann, Fern,
Iaquinta, Perry, R. Phillips, Pino,
Shaver and Varner)
[Passed March 9, 2012; in effect ninety days from passage.]
A BILL to amend and reenact §18-2-34 the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, relating to modifying the criteria for awarding high school diplomas to certain veterans.
Be it enacted by the Legislature of West Virginia:
That §18-2-34 of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended, be amended and reenacted to read as follows:
ARTICLE 2. STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION.
§18-2-34. High school diplomas for surviving veterans of World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam Conflict.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of this code to the contrary, the state board shall provide for the awarding of a high school diploma to any surviving veteran of World War II, the Korean War, or the Vietnam Conflict, who:
(1) Left school prior to graduation and served in the Armed Forces of the United States;
(2) Did not receive a high school diploma;
(3) Was discharged from the armed forces under honorable conditions; and
(4) Completes the application process as provided by the joint rules of the state board and the veterans’ council.
(b) The state board and the veterans’ council, created in article one, chapter nine-a of this code, shall jointly propose rules for the identification of eligible veterans and for awarding high school diplomas. The rules shall provide for an application process and the credentials required to receive a high school diploma.
(c) A diploma shall be awarded by the county board in the county in which the veteran resides or in the county in which the veteran would have received his or her diploma, whichever location the veteran chooses.
(d) For purposes of this section:
"World War II veteran" means any veteran who performed wartime service between September 16, 1940, and December 31, 1946;
(2) "Korean War veteran" means any veteran who performed military service between June 27, 1950, and January 31, 1955;
(3) "Vietnam Conflict veteran" means any veteran who performed military service between February 28, 1961, and May 7, 1975.