(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a) of this section, seizure of property subject to forfeiture by the provisions of this article may be made without process if:
(1) The seizure is incident to a lawful arrest or pursuant to a search under a search warrant or an inspection warrant;
(2) The property subject to seizure has been the subject of a prior judgment in favor of the state in a forfeiture proceeding based upon this article;
(3) The appropriate person has probable cause to believe that the property is directly or indirectly dangerous to health or safety; or
(4) The appropriate person has probable cause to believe that the property was used or intended for use in violation of this chapter.
(c) In the event of seizure pursuant to subsection (b) of this section, forfeiture proceedings shall be instituted within ninety days of the seizure thereof.
(d) Property taken or detained under this section shall not be subject to replevin, but is deemed to be in the custody of the appropriate person, subject only to the orders and decrees of the court having jurisdiction over the forfeiture proceedings. When property is seized under this article, the appropriate person may:
(1) Place the property under seal;
(2) Remove the property to a place designated by him;
(3) Require the appropriate law-enforcement agency to take custody of the property and remove it to an appropriate location for disposition in accordance with law; or
(4) In the case of seized moneys, securities or other negotiable instruments, place the assets in any interest-bearing depository insured by an agency of the federal government.
The requirements of this subsection pertaining to the removal of seized property are not mandatory in the case of real property and appurtenances thereto.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.