In this chapter:
(1) "Business" includes every trade, occupation and profession.
(2) "Debtor in bankruptcy" means a person who is the subject of:
(i) In order for relief under Title 11 of the United States Code or a comparable order under a successor statute of general application; or
(ii) A comparable order under federal, state or foreign law governing insolvency.
(3) "Deliver" or "delivery" means any method of delivery used in conventional commercial practice, including, but not limited to, delivery by hand, mail, commercial delivery and electronic transmission.
(4) "Distribution" means a transfer of money or other property from a partnership to a partner in the partner's capacity as a partner or to the partner's transferee.
(5) "Electronic transmission" or "electronically transmitted", means any process of communication not directly involving the physical transfer of paper that is suitable for the retention, retrieval and reproduction of information by the recipient.
(6) "Foreign limited liability partnership" means a partnership or association formed under or pursuant to an agreement governed by the laws of any state or jurisdiction other than this state that is denominated as a registered limited liability partnership or limited liability partnership under the laws of such other jurisdiction.
(7) "Partnership" means an association of two or more persons to carry on as coowners a business for profit formed under section two, article two of this chapter, predecessor law, or comparable law of another jurisdiction and includes, for all purposes of the laws of this state, a registered limited liability partnership.
(8) "Partnership agreement" means the agreement, whether written, oral or implied, among the partners concerning the partnership, including amendments to the partnership agreement.
(9) "Partnership at will" means a partnership in which the partners have not agreed to remain partners until the expiration of a definite term or the completion of a particular undertaking.
(10) "Partnership interest" or "partner's interest in the partnership" means all of a partner's interests in the partnership, including the partner's transferable interest and all management and other rights.
(11) "Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, professional limited liability company, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(12) "Property" means all property, real, personal or mixed, tangible or intangible, or any interest therein.
(13) "Registered limited liability partnership" means a partnership formed pursuant to an agreement governed by the laws of this state, registered under section one, article ten of this chapter.
(14)"Sign" or "signature" includes, but is not limited to, any manual, facsimile, conformed or electronic signature.
(15) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
(16) "Statement" means a statement of partnership authority under section three, article three of this chapter, a statement of denial under section four of said article, a statement of dissociation under section four, article seven of this chapter, a statement of dissolution under section five, article eight of this chapter, a statement of merger under section seven, article nine of this chapter, a statement of registration and a statement of withdrawal under section one, article ten of this chapter, or an amendment or cancellation of any of the foregoing.
(17) "Transfer" includes an assignment, conveyance, lease, mortgage, deed and encumbrance.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.