(b) A shareholder of a corporation is entitled to inspect, during regular business hours at a reasonable location specified by the corporation, any of the following records of the corporation if the shareholder meets the requirements of subsection (c) of this section and gives the corporation written notice of his or her demand at least five business days before the date on which he or she wishes to inspect and copy:
(1) Excerpts from minutes of any meeting of the board of directors, records of any action of a committee of the board of directors while acting in place of the board of directors on behalf of the corporation, minutes of any meeting of the shareholders and records of action taken by the shareholders or board of directors without a meeting, to the extent not subject to inspection under subsection (a), section one thousand six hundred two of this article;
(2) Accounting records of the corporation; and
(3) The record of shareholders.
(c) A shareholder may inspect and copy the records described in subsection (b) of this section only if:
(1) His or her demand is made in good faith and for a proper purpose;
(2) He or she describes with reasonable particularity his or her purpose and the records he or she desires to inspect; and
(3) The records are directly connected with his or her purpose.
(d) The right of inspection granted by this section may not be abolished or limited by a corporation's articles of incorporation or bylaws.
(e) This section does not affect:
(1) The right of a shareholder to inspect records under section seven hundred twenty, article seven of this chapter or, if the shareholder is in litigation with the corporation, to the same extent as any other litigant; or
(2) The power of a circuit court, independently of this chapter, to compel the production of corporate records for examination.
(f) For purposes of this section, "shareholder" includes a beneficial owner whose shares are held in a voting trust or by a nominee on his or her behalf.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.