In this chapter:
(1) "Articles of organization" means initial, amended and restated articles of organization and articles of merger. In the case of a foreign limited liability company, the term includes all records serving a similar function required to be filed in the office of the secretary of state or other official having custody of company records in the state or country under whose law it is organized.
(2) "At-will company" means a limited liability company other than a term company.
(3) "Business" includes every trade, occupation, profession and other lawful purpose, whether or not carried on for profit.
(4) "Debtor in bankruptcy" means a person who is the subject of an order for relief under Title 11 of the United States Code or a comparable order under a successor statute of general application or a comparable order under federal, state or foreign law governing insolvency.
(5) "Deliver" or "delivery" means any method of delivery used in conventional commercial practice, including, but not limited to, delivery by hand, mail, commercial delivery and electronic transmission.
(6) "Distinguishable" means, in relation to the name of a business a difference between names which would allow a person to recognize or perceive the name of the business as being noticeably different including at least a one-word difference between names when the words are common terms and the company is or might appear to be in a similar business and at least a word order difference between names when the different word is a proper name or an unusual term, or when the company is clearly in a different type of business from the existing name.
(7) "Distribution" means a transfer of money, property or other benefit from a limited liability company to a member in the member's capacity as a member or to a transferee of the member's distributional interest.
(8) "Distributional interest" means all of a member's interest in distributions by the limited liability company.
(9) "Electronic transmission" or "electronically transmitted" means any process of communication not directly involving the physical transfer of paper that is suitable for the retention, retrieval and reproduction of information by the recipient.
(10) "Entity" means a person other than an individual.
(11) "Foreign limited liability company" means an unincorporated entity organized under laws other than the laws of this state which afford limited liability to its owners comparable to the liability under section 3-303 and is not required to obtain a certificate of authority to transact business under any law of this state other than this chapter.
(12) "Limited liability company" means a limited liability company organized under this chapter.
(13) "Manager" means a person, whether or not a member of a manager-managed company, who is vested with authority under section 3-301.
(14) "Manager-managed company" means a limited liability company which is so designated in its articles of organization.
(15) "Member-managed company" means a limited liability company other than a manager-managed company.
(16) "Operating agreement" means the agreement under section 1-103 concerning the relations among the members, managers and limited liability company. The term includes amendments to the agreement.
(17) "Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality or any other legal or commercial entity.
(18) "Principal office" means the office, whether or not in this state, where the principal executive office of a domestic or foreign limited liability company is located.
(19) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(20) "Sign" or "signature" means to identify a record by means of a signature, mark or other symbol, with intent to authenticate it and includes, but is not limited to, any manual, facsimile, conformed or electronic signature.
(21) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
(22) "Term company" means a limited liability company in which its members have agreed to remain members until the expiration of a term specified in the articles of organization.
(23) "Transfer" includes an assignment, conveyance, deed, bill of sale, lease, mortgage, security interest, encumbrance and gift.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.