(a) "Bank" has the meaning set forth in 12 U.S.C. §1813(h): Provided, That the term "bank" shall not include any "foreign bank" as defined in 12 U.S.C. §3101(7), except that such term shall include any foreign bank organized under the laws of a territory of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa or the Virgin Islands, the deposits of which are insured by the federal deposit insurance corporation.
(b) "Bank holding company" has the meaning set forth in 12 U.S.C. §1841(a)(1).
(c) "Bank supervisory agency" means:
(1) Any agency of another state with primary responsibility for chartering and supervising banks; and
(2) The office of the comptroller of the currency, the federal deposit insurance corporation, the board of governors of the federal reserve system and any successor to these agencies.
(d) "Board of Banking and Financial Institutions" means the board created pursuant to the provisions of article three of this chapter and referred to herein as "board".
(e) "Branch" or "branch bank" has the meaning set forth insubsection (f), section two, article one of this chapter.
(f) "Commissioner" means the West Virginia commissioner of banking then in office and, where appropriate, all of his or her successors and predecessors in office.
(g) "Control" shall be construed consistently with the provisions of 12 U.S.C. §1841(a)(2).
(h) "Home state" means:
(1) With respect to a state bank, the state by which the bank is chartered;
(2) With respect to a national bank, the state in which the main office of the bank is located;
(3) With respect to a foreign bank, the state determined to be the home state of such foreign bank under 12 U.S.C. §3103(c).
(i) "Home state regulator" means, with respect to an out-of-state state bank, the bank supervisory agency of the state in which such bank is chartered.
(j) "Host state" means a state, other than the home state of a bank, in which the bank maintains, or seeks to establish and maintain, a branch.
(k) "Insured depository institution" has the meaning set forth in 12 U.S.C. §§1813(c)(2) and (3).
(l) "Interstate merger transaction" means:
(1) The merger or consolidation of banks with different homestates, and the conversion of branches of any bank involved in the merger or consolidation into branches of the resulting bank; or
(2) The purchase of all or substantially all of the assets (including all or substantially all of the branches) of a bank whose home state is different from the home state of the acquiring bank.
(m) "Out-of-state bank" means a bank whose home state is a state other than West Virginia.
(n) "Out-of-state state bank" means a bank chartered under the laws of any state other than West Virginia.
(o) "Resulting bank" means a bank that has resulted from an interstate merger transaction under this article.
(p) "State" means any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, any territory of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands and American Samoa.
(q) "West Virginia bank" means a bank whose home state is West Virginia.
(r) "West Virginia state bank" means a bank chartered under the laws of West Virginia.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.