(1) The name, address and telephone number of the manufacturer;
(2) The brand names under which the manufacturer sells or offers for sale covered electronic devices or televisions in the state;
(3) Whether the manufacturer has implemented a takeback or recycling program for its covered electronic devices or televisions or both;
(4) If the manufacturer has implemented a takeback or recycling program for its covered electronic devices, the manufacturer must provide a toll-free number and website address that provides information about the takeback or recycling program, including a detailed description of how a person may return a covered electronic device for recycling, refurbishing or reuse.
(5) The secretary may request additional information necessary to further the goals of this program.
(b) One year after the implementation of the program and each year thereafter, the manufacturer must submit a report to the secretary on the implementation of the program during the prior year, including:
(1) The total weight of covered electronic devices received by the program from West Virginia during the prior year;
(2) The total number of covered electronic devices from West Virginia recycled, refurbished and reused during the prior year either by actual count or by using average product weights;
(3) The processes and methods used to recycle, refurbish or reuse the covered electronic devices received from West Virginia; and
(4) If the manufacturer has implemented a covered electronic device or television takeback program, be updated prior to any significant change in the program.
(c) The covered electronic device manufacturer registration fee is:
(1) Ten thousand dollars for the initial registration by the manufacturer that has not implemented a takeback program and is due no later than the first day of January, two thousand nine;
(2) Three thousand dollars for the initial registration by the manufacturer that has implemented a takeback program and is due no later than the first day of January, two thousand nine;
(3) Five thousand dollars for each subsequent annual registration by a manufacturer that did not have an implemented covered electronic device takeback program in the prior year; and
(4) Five hundred for each subsequent annual registration by a manufacturer that had implemented and maintained a covered electronic device takeback program in the prior year.
(d) All registration fees collected shall be deposited in a special account in the State Treasury to be known as the Covered Electronic Devices Takeback Fund which is to be administered by the secretary. Expenditures from the fund shall be for recycling grants to counties and municipalities for recycling or other programs that divert covered electronic devices from the waste stream and for the secretary's administrative expense in administering the requirements of this section and sections twenty-four, twenty-six, twenty-seven and twenty-eight of this article. Expenditures are not authorized from collections but are to be made only in accordance with the appropriation by the Legislature and in accordance with the provisions of article three, chapter twelve of this code and upon fulfillment of the provisions of article two, chapter eleven-b of this code: Provided, That for the fiscal year ending the thirtieth day of June, two thousand nine, expenditures are authorized from collections rather than pursuant to appropriation by the Legislature.
(e) The secretary shall review the registration submitted under this section. If the registration does not meet the requirements of this section and the rules adopted by the secretary, the secretary shall notify the manufacturer of the insufficiency.
(f) Within sixty days after receipt of a notice of insufficiency, the manufacturer shall submit a revised registration that addresses the insufficiencies noted by the secretary.
(g) The secretary shall maintain a list of registered covered electronic device manufacturers.
(h) The secretary shall publish the list of registered covered electronic device manufacturers online to provide retailers easy access to the manufacturers authorized to sell their products in this state.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.