Unless the context, in which used, clearly requires a different meaning, as used in this article:
(1) "Board" means the environmental quality board;
(2) "Director" means the director of the division of environmental protection or such other person to whom the director has delegated authority or duties pursuant to sections six or eight, article one of this chapter;
(3) "Free-flowing" means existing or flowing in natural condition without impoundment, by diversion, or flooding of the waterway;
(4) "Modification" means the impounding, diverting or flooding of a stream within the natural stream preservation system;
(5) "Modify" means to impound, divert or flood a stream within the natural stream preservation system;
(6) "Permit" means a permit required by section seven of this article;
(7) "Person," "persons" or "applicants" means any public or private corporation, institution, association, firm or company organized or existing under the laws of this or any other state or country; state of West Virginia; governmental agencies; political subdivision; county commission; municipal corporations; industries; sanitary district; public service district; drainage district; soil conservation district; watershed improvement district; partnership; trust; estate; person or individual; group of persons or individuals acting individually or as a group; or any other legal entity whatever;
(8) "Protected stream" means any stream designated as such in section five of this article, but does not include tributaries or branches unless specifically designated or described in section five of this article;
(9) "Stream" means a flowing body of water or a section or portion thereof, including rivers, streams, creeks, branches or small lakes.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.