(1) The teacher's position was eliminated as part of a reduction in force by a West Virginia county school board;
(2) The teacher has secured employment for a West Virginia county school board in another county;
(3) The teacher has moved his or her residence to the West Virginia county in which he or she has gained employment or to an adjacent county in West Virginia;
(4) The teacher is to be employed in a county where shortages exist either in numbers of teachers or in subject matter areas as determined by the state board; and
(5) As a result of the new employment, it would be impractical for the teacher to maintain his or her previous residence.
(b) The reimbursement shall be for actual expenses and shall not exceed two thousand five hundred dollars, subject to the availability of funds.
(c) Each county board of education shall send the state board by the first day of May, annually, a report that includes:
(1) The available teacher positions in the county;
(2) Any shortages in subject matter areas in the county; and
(3) The name of all teachers reduced in force: Provided, That the teacher has permitted the county board to submit his or her name.
(d) The state board shall compile a report including all information submitted to the state board based on the reports provided in subsection (c) of this section. The state board shall send this report to each county board of education. Additionally, the state board shall send a letter to all teachers reduced in force. This letter shall identify all teacher positions available in West Virginia and identify those counties where shortages exist either in numbers of teachers or in subject matter areas.
(e) The state board shall promulgate a rule pursuant to the provisions of article three-b, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code that implements the provisions of this section. The rule shall include, but is not limited to:
(1) Standards sufficient to define and measure the criteria set forth in subsection (a) of this section; and
(2) A procedure for allocating the funds if the funds appropriated are insufficient.
(f) Nothing in this section shall require any level of appropriation by the Legislature.
(g) The state board shall report to the Legislature by the first day of January of each year on the number of teachers being reimbursed.
(h) This section shall expire on the first day of July, two thousand five, unless continued by the Legislature.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.