(a) Alternative program rules. -
(1) The State Board shall promulgate a legislative rule or rules in accordance with article three-b, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code containing procedures for the approval and operation of alternative teacher education programs as provided in this article. The State Board shall promulgate separate procedures for alternative programs for classroom teachers, alternative programs for highly qualified special education teachers, and additional alternative programs to prepare highly qualified special education teachers. These procedures shall be separate from the State Board's other procedures for approving standard teacher education programs.
(2) Before promulgating a rule or rules, the State Board shall consult with the Secretary of Education and the Arts and the Chancellor of the Higher Education Policy Commission.
(3) Before adopting a rule or rules, the State Board shall submit its proposed rule or rules to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability for review.
(b) Necessary contents. - The State Board's rule or rules shall include, at a minimum, the following elements:
(1) An orderly set of deadlines, forms and guidance to govern:
(A) A partnership's process for applying to become an approved education provider;
(B) The State Board's process for reviewing and acting on a partnership's application;
(C) An approved education provider's process for seeking persons to enroll in an alternative program; and
(D) A person's process for enrolling in an approved education provider's alternative program;
(2) Procedures for determining whether a partnership agreement complies with sections one-b and one-c of this article;
(3) Procedures for determining whether a partnership agreement complies with any additional requirements contained in the State Board's rule or rules;
(4) Standards for how often and for what lengths of time an alternative program teacher must observe in a mentor's classroom;
(5) Guidelines for determining what tuition or other charges an approved education provider may impose relating to an alternative program;
(6) A list of the test or tests that a person must pass if he or she seeks a certification to teach American Sign Language; and
(7) A list of the test or tests that a person must pass if he or she seeks a certification to teach in selected vocational and technical areas.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.