(a) Formation. - One or more schools or school districts, or any combination of these, may form a partnership with one or more institutions of higher education, one or more entities affiliated with an institution of higher education, the West Virginia Department of Education, a regional education service agency, or any combination of these, to provide an alternative program.
(b) Necessary partners. - Except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, a partnership shall include at least one of the following:
(1) An institution of higher education with an accredited program for the education of professional educators that has been approved by the State Board;
(2) An entity affiliated with an institution of higher education that has an accredited program for the education of professional educators that has been approved by the State Board;
(3) The West Virginia Department of Education; or
(4) A regional education service agency.
(c) Partnership agreement contents. - A partnership shall adopt a written partnership agreement that governs how the partnership will conduct its alternative program and that identifies the rights and responsibilities of each partner. The partnership agreement shall include, at a minimum, the following elements:
(1) Procedures and criteria for determining whether a person is eligible to enroll in the alternative program;
(2) A requirement that a vacancy has to be advertised for a ten day period, and if no qualified traditional certified teacher applies, only then may the partnership consider enrolling as person in the alternative program;
(3) Procedures and criteria for making a formal offer of employment to a person who is eligible to enroll in the alternative program;
(4) A detailed list, with descriptions, of the categories, methods and sources of instruction that the alternative program will provide;
(5) A detailed description of the phases of on-the-job training and supervision that the alternative program will provide;
(6) A detailed description of the academic and performance standards that an alternative program teacher shall satisfy to receive the partnership's recommendation that the State Superintendent issue to him or her a professional teaching certificate;
(7) Procedures for selecting and training the professional support team who will instruct, mentor or supervise alternative program teachers;
(8) Provisions for determining tuition or other charges, if any, relating to an alternative program;
(9) A requirement, subject to the provisions of subsection (e), subsection one-f of this article, that the hiring authority for any school or school district that hires an alternative program teacher will renew the alternative program teacher's contract from year to year as along as he or she makes satisfactory progress in the alternative education program and until he or she completes the alternative program; and
(10) Any other provisions that the partners consider necessary or helpful to ensure that the alternative program operates in accordance with this chapter.