(1) "Vocational rehabilitation facility" means a facility which is operated for the primary purpose of providing vocational rehabilitation services to, or gainful employment for, handicapped individuals, or, for providing evaluation and work adjustment services for disadvantaged individuals, and which provides singly or in combination one or more of the following services for handicapped individuals: (a) Comprehensive rehabilitation services which shall include, under one management, medical, psychological, social, and vocational services; (b) testing, fitting, or training in the use of prosthetic and orthopedic devices; (c) provocational conditioning or recreational therapy; (d) physical and occupational therapy; (e) therapy for speech and hearing pathology; (f) psychological and social services; (g) evaluation; (h) personal and work adjustment; (i) vocational training (in combination with other rehabilitation services); (j) evaluation or control of special disabilities; and (k) extended employment for the severely handicapped who cannot be readily absorbed in the competitive labor market; but all medical and related health services must be prescribed by, or under the formal supervision of, persons licensed to practice medicine or surgery in the state.
(2) "Workshop" means a particular type of vocational rehabilitation facility where any manufacture or handiwork is carried on and which is operated by a public agency or by a private corporation or association, no part of the net earnings of which inures or may lawfully inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, or by a cooperative, for the primary purpose of providing remunerative employment to disabled persons (a) as an interim step in the rehabilitation process for those who cannot be readily absorbed in the competitive labor market; or (b) during such time as employment opportunities for them in the competitive labor market do not exist; or (c) for providing vocational evaluation and work adjustment services for disadvantaged persons.
(3) "Cooperative" means an association, or membership corporation, whose membership is limited to disabled individuals and which is organized and operated on a cooperative basis for the exclusive benefit of its members and, by its charter or bylaws, is required to divide any profits, realized from the operation of workshops operated by it and not reinvested in such workshops, among its disabled members actually working therein.
(4) "Nonprofit institution" means a corporation or association no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.
(5) "State board,""division," and "director" shall have the same meaning as in article ten-a of this code.
Notwithstanding section ten, article three, chapter twelve of this code, the director of the division of vocational rehabilitation is authorized to make advance payments to public and private nonprofit sheltered workshops when it has been determined by the director after serious consideration to be necessary for the initiation or continuation of such workshops. Such advance payments shall be for a period no greater than ninety days in advance of rendition or continuation of rehabilitation services provided by the public or private nonprofit sheltered workshop.
The advisory committee shall be appointed by the director, by and with the advice and consent of the state board, and shall include among its members representatives of state and nongovernmental agencies concerned with the establishment, operation or utilization of vocational rehabilitation services and facilities, and at least one of the members shall be a person well versed in problems related to employment of the disabled.
The members shall serve for five-year terms, or until replaced, except that in the first year one fifth of the members shall be named for a one-year term, one fifth for a two-year term, one fifth for a three-year term, one fifth for a four-year term, and one fifth for a five-year term. Thereafter each member shall be appointed for five years or until his successor is appointed. In the case of a vacancy the appointee shall serve the remainder of the unexpired term.
Members of the advisory committee shall be eligible to succeed themselves. Members of the advisory committee shall serve without compensation but shall be entitled to reimbursement for all reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred in the performance of the duties of their office.
(a) Enter into contracts with any person, firm, corporation or association for the provision of goods and services by the division;
(b) Provide remuneration to the clients of the division from the proceeds of said contracts based upon standards established by the director of the division: Provided, however, That said clients so paid shall in no way be considered employees of the state for any purpose whatsoever. To effectuate the provisions of this section, there is hereby created a special revolving account in the office of the state treasurer designated "vocational rehabilitation industries account." All moneys collected by the division from the sale or disposition of articles, products manufactured, and services provided by the clients of the division in accordance with the provisions of this article shall be deposited in said special account, and shall be used solely for the purchase of manufacturing supplies, equipment, machinery and materials used to carry out the purposes of this article, as well as for the payment of remuneration to the clients of the division who are utilized in the manufacture of said products or articles. The division may deposit into said account an initial amount which the director determines necessary to establish the program herein authorized and may deposit additional amounts in said account as from time to time may become necessary to continue said program. All funds so deposited shall be from moneys appropriated therefor, or which are made available by the federal government or other sources for such purposes.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.