(1) Shall include as part of the bill of lading or other shipping documents a clear and conspicuous statement providing as follows: "Cigarettes: West Virginia Law Prohibits Shipping to Individuals Under 18, and Requires the Payment of all Applicable Taxes";
(2) Shall use a method of mailing, shipping, or delivery that obligates the delivery service to require: (i) The consumer placing the purchase order for the delivery sale, or another adult of legal minimum purchase age, to sign to accept delivery of the shipping container; and (ii) proof, in the form of a valid, government-issued identification bearing a photograph of the individual who signs to accept delivery of the shipping container, demonstrating that he is either the addressee or another adult of legal minimum purchase age; and
(3) Shall provide to the delivery service retained for such delivery sale evidence of full compliance with section seven of this article.
(b) A delivery service shall be in violation of this article if it: (1) Ships or otherwise delivers cigarettes in connection with a delivery sale without first receiving evidence of compliance with section seven of this article; or (2) fails to comply with the requirements described in subsection (a) or described in section six of this article:
(1) When obligated to do so under a method of shipping or delivery;
(2) When delivering any container pursuant to shipping documents containing the statement described in subdivision (1), subsection (a) of this section; or
(3) When delivering any container that the delivery service otherwise has reason to know contains cigarettes.
(c) If the person accepting a purchase order for a delivery sale delivers the cigarettes without using a delivery service, that person shall comply with all requirements of this article applicable to a delivery service and shall be in violation of the provisions of this article upon failure to comply with the requirements.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.