(a) Every covered facility and related organization defined in this article, within one hundred twenty days after the end of each of their fiscal years, unless an extension be granted by the board for good cause shown, shall be required to file with the board and publish, as a Class I legal advertisement, pursuant to section two, article three, chapter fifty-nine of the code of West Virginia, in a qualified newspaper published within the county within which such covered facility or related organization is located, an annual report prepared by the covered facility's or related organization's auditor or an independent accountant.
Such report shall contain a complete statement of the following:
(1) Assets and liabilities;
(2) Income and expenses;
(3) Profit or loss for the period reported;
(4) A statement of ownership for persons owning more than five percent of the capital stock outstanding and the dividends paid thereon, if any, and to whom paid for the period reported unless the covered facility or related organization be duly registered on the New York stock exchange, American stock exchange, any regional stock exchange, or its stock traded actively over the counter. Such statement shall further contain a disclosure of ownership by any parent company or subsidiary, if applicable.
Such annual report shall also include a prominent notice that the details concerning the contents of the advertisement, together with the other reports, statements and schedules required to be filed with the board by the provisions of this section, shall be available for public inspection and copying at the board's office.
(b) Every covered facility and related organization shall also file with the board the following statements, schedules or reports in such form and at such intervals as may be specified by the board, but at least annually:
(1) A statement of services available and services rendered;
(2) A statement of the total financial needs of such covered facility or related organization and the resources available or expected to become available to meet such needs;
(3) A complete schedule of such covered facility's or related organization's then current rates with costs allocated to each category of costs, in accordance with the rules and regulations as promulgated by the board pursuant to section three hereof;
(4) A copy of such reports made or filed with the federal health care financing administration, or its successor, as the board may deem necessary or useful to accomplish the purposes of this article;
(5) A statement of all charges, fees or salaries for goods or services rendered to the covered facility or related organization for the period reported which shall exceed in total the sum of fifty-five thousand dollars and a statement of all charges, fees or other sums collected by the covered facility or related organization for or on the account of any person, firm, partnership, corporation or other entity, however structured, which shall exceed in total the sum of fifty-five thousand dollars during the period reported;
(6) Such other reports of the costs incurred in rendering services as the board may prescribe. The board may require the certification of specified financial reports by the covered facility's or related organization's auditor or independent accountant; and
(7) A copy of all tax returns required to be filed by federal and state law.
(c) Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary herein, any data or material that is furnished to the board pursuant to the provisions of subdivision (4), subsection (b) of this section need not be duplicated by any other requirements of this section requiring the filing of data and material.
(d) No report, statement, schedule or other filing required or permitted to be filed hereunder shall contain any medical orindividual information personally identifiable to a patient or a consumer of health services, whether directly or indirectly. All such reports, statements and schedules filed with the board under this section shall be open to public inspection and shall be available for examination during regular hours. Copies of such reports shall be made available to the public upon request and the board may establish fees reasonably calculated to reimburse the board for its actual costs in making copies of such reports: Provided, That all tax returns filed pursuant to this article shall be confidential and it shall be unlawful for the board or any member of its staff to divulge or make known in any manner the tax return, or any part thereof, of any covered facility or related organization.
(e) Whenever further fiscal information is deemed necessary to verify the accuracy of any information set forth in any statement, schedule or report filed by a covered facility or related organization under the provisions of this article, the board shall have the authority to require the production of any records necessary to verify such information.
(f) From time to time, the board shall engage in or carry out analyses and studies relating to health care costs, the financial status of any covered facility or related organization or any other appropriate related matters, and make determinations of whether, in its opinion, the rates charged by a covered facility are economically justified.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.