(1) General physical requirements for facilities and equipment, including requirements for adequate ventilation and lighting;
(2) Record keeping requirements and forms;
(3) Written notification of the risks of body piercing procedures and minimum age requirements;
(4) Body piercing procedures, including, but not limited to, safety and sterilization procedures; the use of antimicrobial solutions, needles, single use instruments and other instruments; the exercise of standard precautions; and instructions on the care of the skin after body piercing procedures;
(5) Permitting requirements for operators and technicians, including fees for permits and renewals of permits sufficient to cover the costs of inspecting facilities and administering this article; and
(6) For the disposal of waste in compliance with the rules of the department of health and human resources regarding the disposal of medical wastes.
(b) The rules required by this section may also include provisions on training or educational requirements or materials; health screenings for technicians; and any other provisions considered necessary to protect the public or assure adequate health and safety.
(c) The rules may also include limitations or prohibitions on the performance of certain procedures, including, but not limited to, procedures referred to as cutting, branding and scarification, which are identified as posing a risk to the public health and safety.
(d) Before the first day of December, two thousand, the department shall report to the Legislature on permanent body alteration activities, including, but not limited to, procedures referred to as cutting, branding and scarification, and identify those activities that pose a risk to the public health and safety, and report its recommendations for legislation.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.