(a) It is unlawful for any person who does not possess a valid asbestos contractor's license to contract with another person for an asbestos abatement project.
(b) To qualify for an asbestos contractor's license, an applicant shall:
(1) Satisfactorily complete a United States environmental protection agency approved training course for asbestos supervisors;
(2) Demonstrate to the satisfaction of the director that the applicant and the applicant's employees or agents are familiar with and are capable of complying fully with all applicable requirements, procedures and standards of the United States environmental protection agency, the United States occupational safety and health administration and the state departments of health and human resources and commerce, labor and environmental resources covering any part of an asbestos abatement project; and
(3) Meet the requirements otherwise set forth by the director.
(c) Applicants for an asbestos contractor's license shall submit an application and a certificate that shows satisfactory completion of the United States environmental protection agency asbestos training course for supervisors to the division on the required form and shall pay the applicable fee to the division. The director may deny a license if there has been a failure to comply with the application procedure or if the applicant fails to satisfy the application criteria. Written notice of denial and an opportunity for reapplication shall be afforded to all applicants.
(d) Licensed asbestos contractors shall carry out the following duties:
(1) Ensure that each of the contractor's employees or agents who will come into contact with asbestos or who will be responsible for an asbestos abatement project is licensed as required by this article;
(2) Ensure that each asbestos project is supervised by a licensed asbestos abatement supervisor;
(3) Keep a record of each asbestos abatement project and make the record available to the state departments of health and human resources and commerce, labor and environmental resources upon request. Records required by this section shall be kept for at least thirty years. The records shall include:
(A) The name, address and license number of the individual who supervised the asbestos abatement project and each employee or agent who worked on the project;
(B) The location and design of the project and the amount of asbestos-containing material that was removed;
(C) The starting and completion dates of each project and a summary of the procedures that were used to comply with all federal and state standards;
(D) The name and address of each asbestos disposal site where waste containing asbestos was deposited and the disposal site receipts; and
(E) Ensure that each contained work area of an asbestos abatement project meets minimum clearance standards established by the director before allowing reoccupancy.
(e) The following situations and relationships involving asbestos abatement contractors are prohibited:
(1) A financial or proprietary interest of the contractor in a laboratory utilized by the contractor to perform asbestos sample analysis related to asbestos abatement projects performed or contracted for by the contractor;
(2) An employer-employee relationship between the contractor and an asbestos clearance air monitor for an asbestos abatement project performed or contracted for by the contractor; and
(3) A financial or proprietary interest of the contractor in the firm which performs asbestos clearance air monitoring for an asbestos abatement project performed or contracted for by the contractor.
(f) Persons who contract to remove resilient floor covering materials in single-family dwellings are not required to be licensed as asbestos contractors: Provided, That the individuals engaged in removal shall meet the requirements of this article and any rules promulgated hereunder relating to resilient floor covering removal.
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.