§16-32-11. Notification; waivers; exemptions.
(a) Each owner or other person responsible for the operation of a building or facility where an asbestos abatement project is to occur shall notify the commissioner at least ten working days prior to commencement of each asbestos abatement project and shall comply with other applicable state and federal legal and regulatory notification requirements for asbestos abatement projects.
(b) In an emergency that results from a sudden unexpected event that is not a planned renovation or demolition, the commissioner may waive the requirement of ten working days prior notification, but in all cases notification shall be made to the bureau after the emergency within the specified time required by the commissioner.
(c) Asbestos abatement projects involving less than one hundred sixty square feet or two hundred sixty linear feet of asbestos containing material are exempt from the prior notification requirement, unless the project takes place in a school for any of grades kindergarten through twelve. A summary of the projects shall be submitted to the bureau within a specified time as required by the commissioner.
(d) Removal, repair and maintenance of oil and gas pipeline asphaltic wrap which contains asbestos fibers encapsulated or coated by bituminous or resinous compounds is not subject to the requirements of this article if:
(1) The pipeline asphaltic wrap which contains asbestos fibers encapsulated or coated by bituminous or resinous compounds is not friable prior to disturbance along the length of the pipeline being removed, repaired or maintained;
(2) The area disturbed in preparing the pipeline for cutting does not exceed two hundred sixty linear feet of removed friable asbestos;
(3) Before work begins and as needed during the job, a competent person conducts an inspection of the worksite and determines that the material is intact and will likely remain intact;
(4) All employees performing work covered by this subsection are trained in accordance with OSHA standards, 29 CFR 1926.1101(g)(11)(ii), and all other workers shall remain at a safe distance from the site;
(5) The material is not sanded, abraded or ground. Manual methods which do not render the material nonintact must be used;
(6)All removal or disturbance of pipeline asphaltic wrap is performed using wet methods; and
(7) All pipeline and asbestos-containing material removed from the pipeline is disposed of in a lawful manner.
(e) Persons who remove resilient floor covering materials in single-family dwellings are exempt from notification requirements.