(1) "Authority" means the West Virginia Hospital Finance Authority created by section four of this article, the duties, powers, responsibilities and functions of which are specified in this article;
(2) "Board" means the West Virginia Hospital Finance Board created by section four of this article, which shall manage and control the authority;
(3) "Bond" means a revenue bond issued by the authority to effect the purposes of this article;
(4) "Construction" means and includes new construction, reconstruction, enlargement, improvement and providing furnishings or equipment;
(5) "Direct provider of health care" means a person or organization whose primary current activity is the provision of health care to individuals and includes a licensed or certified physician, osteopath, dentist, nurse, podiatrist or physician's assistant or an organization comprised of these health professionals or employing these health professionals;
(6) "Hospital" means a corporation, association, institution or establishment for the care of those who require medical treatment, which may be a public or private corporation or association, or state-owned or operated establishment and specifically includes nursing homes which are licensed under chapter sixteen of this code or those facilities certified under the Social Security Act as intermediate care facilities for individuals with an intellectual disability;
(7) "Hospital facilities" means any real or personal property suitable and intended for, or incidental or ancillary to, use by a hospital and includes: Outpatient clinics; laboratories; laundries; nurses', doctors' or interns' residences; administration buildings; facilities for research directly involved with hospital care; maintenance, storage or utility facilities; parking lots and garages; and all necessary, useful or related equipment, furnishings and appurtenances and all lands necessary or convenient as a site for the foregoing and specifically includes any capital improvements to any of the foregoing. "Hospital facilities" specifically includes office facilities not less than eighty percent of which are intended for lease to direct providers of health care and which are geographically or functionally related to one or more other hospital facilities, if the authority determines that the financing of the office facilities is necessary to accomplish the purposes of this article;
(8) "Hospital loan" means a loan made by the authority to a hospital and specifically includes financings by the authority for hospital facilities pursuant to lease-purchase agreements, installment sale or other similar agreements;
(9) "Note" means a short-term promise to pay a specified amount of money, payable and secured as provided pursuant to this article and issued by the authority to effect the purposes of this article;
(10) "Project costs" means the total of the reasonable or necessary costs incurred for carrying out the works and undertakings for the acquisition or construction of hospital facilities under this article. "Project costs" includes, but is not limited to, all of the following costs: The costs of acquisition or construction of the hospital facilities; studies and surveys; plans, specifications, architectural and engineering services; legal, organization, marketing or other special services; financing, acquisition, demolition, construction, equipping and site development of new and rehabilitated buildings; rehabilitation, reconstruction, repair or remodeling of existing buildings; interest and carrying charges during construction and before full earnings are achieved and operating expenses before full earnings are achieved or a period of one year following the completion of construction, whichever occurs first; and a reasonable reserve for payment of principal of and interest on bonds or notes of the authority. "Project costs" shall also include reimbursement of a hospital for the foregoing costs expended by a hospital from its own funds or from money borrowed by the hospital for such purposes before issuance and delivery of bonds or notes by the authority for the purpose of providing funds to pay the project costs. "Project costs" also specifically includes the refinancing of any existing debt of a hospital necessary in order to permit the hospital to borrow from the authority and give adequate security for the hospital loan. The determination of the authority with respect to the necessity of refinancing and adequate security for a hospital loan is conclusive;
(11) "Revenue" means any money or thing of value collected by, or paid to, the authority as principal of or interest, charges or other fees on hospital loans or any other collections on hospital loans made by the authority to hospitals to finance, in whole or in part, the acquisition or construction of any hospital facilities or other money or property which is received and may be expended for or pledged as revenues pursuant to this article;
(12) "Veterans skilled nursing facility" means a skilled nursing care facility constructed and operated to serve the needs of veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States who are citizens of this state.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.