As used in this article:
(1) "Byproduct material" means (i) any radioactive material (except special nuclear material) yielded in or made radioactive by exposure to the radiation incident to the process of producing or utilizing special nuclear material, and (ii) the tailings or wastes produced by the extraction or concentration of uranium or thorium from any ore processed primarily for its source material content;
(2) "Dispose" or "disposal" means the discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking or placing of a substance into or on any land, water or air;
(3) "Low-level waste" means radioactive waste that:
(A) Is neither high-level waste or transuranic, nor spent nuclear fuel, nor by-product material as defined in section 11 (e)(2) of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended; and
(B) Is any radioactive material that the United States nuclear regulatory commission classified as low-level radioactive waste on or after the first day of January, one thousand nine hundred eighty-nine: Provided, That any material classified as low-level radioactive waste on or after the first day of January, one thousand nine hundred eighty-nine, shall be considered low-level radioactive waste without regard to a nuclear regulatory commission determination that such material is below regulatory concern; and
(C) Is any radioactive material produced after the first day of January, one thousand nine hundred eighty-nine, which would have been classified as a low-level radioactive waste, utilizing the standards in effect on that date, without regard to a determination by an agency of the United States government that such material is below regulatory concern;
(4) "Radioactive waste material" means any discarded radioactive material in the form of, or resulting from the use of, any byproduct material, source material or special nuclear material and includes low-level waste;
(5) "Source material" means (i) uranium or thorium, or any combination thereof, in any physical or chemical form; or (ii) ores which contain by weight one twentieth of one percent (0.05%) or more of (a) uranium, (b) thorium or (c) any combination thereof. Source material does not include special nuclear material;
(6) "Special nuclear material" means (i) plutonium, uranium 233, uranium enriched in the isotope 233 or in the isotope 235; or (ii) any material artificially enriched by any of the foregoing but does not include source material;
(7) "Store" or "storage" means the containment of a substance, either on a temporary basis or for a period of years, in such a manner as not to constitute disposal or transportation; and
(8) "Transport" or "transportation" means any movement of a substance and any loading, unloading or storage incidental thereto.
The governor shall have the authority to add, by executive order, to the listing of materials constituting "source material" or "special nuclear material" by including such additional like materials as may be determined by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission to constitute "source material" or "special nuclear material."
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.