(1) To accept by gift or grant from any person, firm, corporation, trust or foundation, or from this state or any other state or any political subdivision or municipality thereof, or from the United States, any funds or property or any interest therein for the uses and purposes of the authority and to hold title thereto in trust or otherwise and to bind the authority to apply the same according to the terms of such gift or grant;
(2)To sue and be sued;
(3) To enter into franchises, contracts and agreements with this or any other state or the United States or any municipality, political subdivision or authority thereof, or any of their agencies or instrumentalities, or any public or private person, partnership, association, or corporation of this state or of any other state or the United States, and this state and any such municipality, political subdivision, authority, or any of their agencies or instrumentalities, and any such public or private person, partnership, association, or corporation is hereby authorized to enter into contracts and agreements with such authority for any term not exceeding forty years for the planning, development, construction, acquisition, maintenance, or operation of any facility or for any service rendered to, for, or by said authority;
(4) To borrow money and evidence the same by warrants, notes, or bonds as hereinafter provided in this article, and to refund the same by the issuance of refunding obligations;
(5) To acquire land and interests in land by gift, purchase, exchange or eminent domain, such power of eminent domain to be exercised within or without the boundaries of the authority in accordance with provisions of article two, chapter fifty-four of this code;
(6) To acquire by purchase or lease, construct, install, and operate reservoirs, pipelines, wells, check dams, pumping stations, water purification plants, and other facilities for the production, distribution and utilization of water, and transportation facilities, pump stations, lift stations, treatment facilities and other facilities for the transportation and treatment of wastewater, and to own and hold such real and personal property as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of its organization, subject to the advance approval of the public service commission for any proposed acquisition, construction, installation or operation: Provided, That the public service commission shall act on all proposals submitted under this paragraph within one hundred twenty days of filing with the commission: Provided, however, That if the public service commission has not acted within such period of time, approval of such proposal shall be deemed granted;
(7) To have the general management, control, and supervision of all the business, affairs, property and facilities of the authority, and of the construction, installation, operation and maintenance of authority improvements, and to establish regulations relating thereto;
(8) To hire and retain agents, employees, engineers and attorneys and to determine their compensation. The governing body shall select and appoint a general manager of the authority who shall serve at the pleasure of said governing body. The general manager shall have training and experience in the supervision and administration of the system or systems operated by the authority and shall manage and control the system under the general supervision of said governing body. All employees, servants and agents of the authority shall be under the immediate control and management of said general manager. The general manager shall perform all such other duties as may be prescribed by said governing body and shall give the governing body a good and sufficient surety company bond in a sum to be set and approved by the governing body conditioned upon the satisfactory performance of the general manager's duties. The governing body may also require that any other employees be bonded in such amount as it shall determine. The cost of said bonds shall be paid out of the funds of the authority;
(9) To adopt and amend rules and regulations not in conflict with the constitution and laws of this state, necessary for the carrying on of the business, objects and affairs of the governing body and of the authority;
(10) To have and exercise all rights and powers necessary or incidental to or implied from the specific powers granted herein. Such specific powers shall not be considered as a limitation upon any power necessary or appropriate to carry out the purposes of this article.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.