(b) The director of the division shall be named by the Governor to serve at his will and pleasure.
(c) The director of the division shall take and subscribe to an oath of office in conformity with article IV, section five of the Constitution of the State of West Virginia.
(b) The director shall be charged with executive and administrative responsibility to: (i) Carry out the specific duties imposed on the Governor's Committee on Crime, Delinquency and Correction under the provisions of article nine, chapter fifteen; article twenty-nine, chapter thirty; and article eleven-c, chapter sixty-two of this code; (ii) maintain appropriate liaison with federal, state and local agencies and units of government, or combinations thereof, in order that all programs, projects and activities for strengthening and improving law enforcement and the administration of criminal justice may function effectively at all levels of government; and (iii) seek sources of federal grant assistance programs that may benefit the state when authorized by the Governor and manage the dispersal of those funds through grant contracts to sub-grantees in a manner consistent with state and federal law, and with sound and accountable management practices for the efficient and effective use of public funds.
(c) The director may:
(1) Employ necessary personnel, assign them the duties necessary for the efficient management and operation of the division;
(2) Work to bridge gaps between federal, state and local units of government, as well as private/non-profit organizations and the general public;
(3) Provide staff assistance in the coordination of all facets of the criminal and juvenile justice systems on behalf of the Governor's Committee on Crime Delinquency and Correction, including, but not limited to, law enforcement, jails, corrections, community corrections and victim services;
(4) Acquire criminal justice resources and coordinate the allocation of these resources to state, local and not-for-profit agencies;
(5) Maintain a web based data base for all community correction programs;
(6) Through the Criminal Justice Statistical Analysis Center, collect, compile, and analyze crime and justice data in the state, generating statistical and analytical products for criminal justice professionals and policy makers to establish a basis for sound policy and practical considerations for the criminal justice system and make such recommendations for system improvement as may be warranted by such research;
(7) Receive and disburse federal and state grants.
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed as authorizing the division to undertake direct operational responsibilities in law enforcement or the administration of criminal justice.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.