(a) The Legislature hereby continues and reconstitutes the Governor's Committee on Crime, Delinquency and Correction.
(b) The committee is composed of the following members:
(1) The Secretary of the Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety, who shall serve as chair;
(2) The chair of the juvenile justice subcommittee;
(3) The chair of the community corrections subcommittee created by section two, article eleven-c, chapter sixty-two of this code;
(4) The chair of the law-enforcement professional standards subcommittee created by section two, article twenty-nine, chapter thirty of this code;
(5) The chair of the sexual assault forensic examination commission created by section one, article nine-b, chapter fifteen of this code;
(6) The Superintendent of the State Board of Education;
(7) A representative of a post-secondary education system in this state to be appointed by the Governor. This person shall be appointed on or before July 1, 2015, for an initial term of two years and then shall be appointed for subsequent terms of four years;
(8) A representative of a faith-based organization to be appointed by the Governor. This person shall be appointed on or before July 1, 2015, for an initial term of two years and then shall be appointed for subsequent terms of four years;
(9) The Administrative Director of the Supreme Court of Appeals who shall serve as an ex officio, nonvoting member;
(10) The Executive Director of the West Virginia Prosecuting Attorneys Institute, established pursuant to section six, article four, chapter seven of this code; and
(11) The Executive Director of the West Virginia Public Defender Services, established pursuant to section three, article twenty-one, chapter twenty-nine of this code.
(c) After initial appointment, members appointed by the Governor pursuant to subsection (b) of this section shall serve for a term of four years from his or her appointment and are eligible for reappointment to that position. A person may not be appointed to the committee who is already a member of the committee by virtue of his or her title or occupation.
(d) All members appointed to the committee shall serve until his or her successor has been duly appointed.
(e) The Legislature hereby designates the Governor's Committee on Crime, Delinquency and Correction as the state planning agency required for participation by the State of West Virginia in programs provided by the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, as amended (42 United States Code, sections 3701 through 3796c, inclusive) and the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974, as amended (42 United States Code, section 5601).
(f) The chair of the Governor's Committee on Crime, Delinquency and Corrections shall:
(1) Appoint members and fill vacancies in the membership of the subcommittees in accordance with the statutory provisions governing such appointments.
(2) Call meetings of the committee at least quarterly, and at such other times as he or she may direct, or upon request of a majority of the members of the committee.
(g) The Director of the Division of Justice and Community Services shall serve as the Executive Director of the Governor's Committee on Crime, Delinquency and Correction and of its subcommittees and the Division of Justice and Community Services shall provide staff support.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.