(a) General. -- When used in this article, words defined in subsection (b) of this section have the meaning ascribed to them in this section, except in those instances where a different meaning is distinctly expressed or the context in which the word is used clearly indicates that a different meaning is intended.
(b) Definitions. --
(1) "Business" includes all health care activities engaged in, or caused to be engaged in, with the object of gain or economic benefit, direct or indirect, and whether engaged in for profit, or not for profit, or by a governmental entity: Provided, That "business" does not include services rendered by an employee within the scope of his or her contract of employment. Employee services, services by a partner on behalf of his or her partnership, and services by a member of any other business entity on behalf of that entity, are the business of the employer, or partnership, or other business entity, as the case may be, and reportable as such for purposes of the taxes imposed by this article.
(2) "Broad-based health care related tax" means a broad-based health care related tax as defined in Section 1903 of the Social Security Act.
(3) "Corporation" includes associations, joint-stock companies and insurance companies. It also includes governmental entities when and to the extent such governmental entities engaged in activities taxable under this article.
(4) "Includes" and "including" when used in a definition contained in this article shall not be deemed to exclude other things otherwise within the meaning of the term being defined.
(5) "Partner" includes a member in a "partnership", as defined in this section.
(6) "Partnership" includes a syndicate, group, pool, joint venture or other unincorporated organization through or by means of which any privilege taxable under this article is exercised, and which is not within the meaning of this article a trust or estate or corporation. It includes a limited liability company when such company is treated as a partnership for federal income tax purposes.
(7) "Person" means any individual, partnership, association, company, corporation or other entity engaging in a privilege taxed under this article.
(8) "Social Security Act" means the Social Security Act of the United States, as amended by Public Law 102-234, and codified in Title 42, Section 1396b of the United States Code.
(9) "Tax" means any tax imposed by this article and, for purposes of administration and collection of such tax, includes any interest, additions to tax or penalties imposed with respect thereto under article ten of this chapter.
(10) "Taxable year" means the calendar year, or the fiscal year ending during such calendar year, upon the basis of which the tax imposed by this article is computed. In the case of a return made under this article, or regulations of the tax commissioner, for a fractional part of a year, the term "taxable year" means the period for which such return is made.
(11) "Taxpayer" means any person subject to any tax imposed by this article.
(12) "This code" means the code of West Virginia, one thousand nine hundred thirty-one, as amended.
(13) "This state" means the state of West Virginia.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.