(1) Sales of computer hardware or software (including custom designed software) to be directly incorporated by a manufacturer into a manufactured product. For purposes of this subsection, the payment of licensing fees for the right to incorporate hardware or software developed by persons other than the manufacturer into a manufactured product is exempt from the tax imposed by this article;
(2) Sales of computer hardware or software (including custom designed software) directly used in communication as defined in this article;
(3) Sales of electronic data processing services;
(4) Sales of educational software required to be used in any of the public schools of this state or in any institution in this state which qualifies as a nonprofit or educational institution subject to administration, regulation, certification or approval of the Department of Education, the Department of Education and the Arts or the Higher Education Policy Commission;
(5) Sales of internet advertising of goods and services;
(6) Sales of high-technology business services to high-technology businesses which enter into contracts with this state, its institutions and subdivisions, governmental units, institutions or subdivisions of other states, or with the United States, including agencies of federal, state or local governments for direct use in fulfilling the government contract; and
(7) Sales of prewritten computer software, computers, computer hardware, servers and building materials and tangible personal property to be installed into a building or facility for direct use in a high-technology business or an internet advertising business.
(b) Definitions. --
As used in this article, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) "Computer hardware" means a computer, as defined in article fifteen-b of this chapter, and the directly and immediately connected physical equipment involved in the performance of data processing or communications functions, including data input, data output, data processing, data storage, and data communication apparatus that is directly and immediately connected to the computer. The term "computer hardware" does not include computer software.
(2) "High-technology business" means and is limited to businesses primarily engaged in the following activities: Computer hardware design and development; computer software design, development, customization and upgrade; computer systems design and development; website design and development; network design and development; design and development of new manufactured products which incorporate computer hardware and software; electronic data processing; network management, maintenance, engineering, administration and security services; website management, maintenance, engineering, administration and security services and computer systems management, maintenance, engineering, administration and security services. High-technology business as defined herein is intended to include businesses which engage in the activities enumerated in this definition as their primary business activity, and not as a secondary or incidental activity and not as an activity in support of or incidental to business activity not specifically enumerated in this definition.
(3) "High-technology business services" means and is limited to computer hardware design and development; computer software design, development, customization and upgrade; computer systems design and development; website design and development; network design and development; electronic data processing; computer systems management; computer systems maintenance; computer systems engineering; computer systems administration and computer systems security services.
(4) "Internet advertising business" means a for-profit business that is engaged, for monetary remuneration, in the primary business activity of announcing, or calling public attention to, goods or services in order to induce the public to purchase those goods or services, and which uses the internet as its sole advertising communications medium. For purposes of this definition, internet advertising must be the primary business activity of the business and not a secondary or incidental activity and not an activity in support of or incidental to other business activity.
(5) "Network" means a group of two or more computer systems linked together.
(6) "Server" means a computer or device on a network that manages network resources.
(c) The amendments to this section made in the first extraordinary session of the Legislature in 2009 shall apply to purchases made on and after July 1, 2009.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.