(b) Determination of credit. -- The amount of credit allowed by subsection (a) is determined, at the election of the taxpayer:
(1) By multiplying the taxpayer's adjusted qualified investment by its new jobs percentage (as determined under section nine of this article); or
(2) By multiplying the taxpayer's adjusted qualified investment by ten percent.
(c) Corporate headquarters relocations after December 31, 2002. -- For purposes of corporate headquarters relocations occurring on or after the first day of January, two thousand three, and notwithstanding any other provision of this article to the contrary:
(1) New jobs created in this state by relocation of a corporate headquarters may include jobs created in this state within twelve months before or after the month in which the qualified investment in the corporate headquarters relocation is placed into service or use in this state by:
(A) Relocation or transfer of employees of the corporation or employees of a related corporation or related person from an out-of-state location to the relocated corporate headquarters in this state, who: (i) Are or become employees of the corporation within twelve months before or after the month in which the qualified investment in the corporate headquarters is placed into service or use in this state; and (ii) whose regular place of work is in the corporate headquarters; or
(B) New employees of the corporation whose regular place of work is in the corporate headquarters.
(2) Multiple year projects certified under section six of this article may be allowed for corporate headquarters relocations under this section.
(d) Application of credit. -- The credit allowed by this section is applied in the manner prescribed in section seven of this article: Provided, That the amount of corporation net income taxes against which the credit allowed by this section may be applied is the sum of the corporation net income tax due on adjusted federal taxable income allocated to this state under section seven, article twenty-four of this chapter, plus that portion of the corporation net income tax due on adjusted federal taxable income apportioned to this state under section seven, article twenty-four of this chapter, that is further apportioned to the qualified investment using the payroll factor provided in subdivision (1), subsection (h), section seven of this article or an alternative means of apportionment as prescribed by the commissioner under section seven of this article. For all other purposes, the credit allowed by this section is treated as credit allowed by section four of this article.
(e) Definitions. -- For purposes of this section:
(1) Adjusted qualified investment. -- The term "adjusted qualified investment" means the taxpayer's qualified investment in the corporate headquarters as determined under section eight of this article and rules of the commissioner, plus the cost of the reasonable and necessary expenses it incurred to relocate its corporate headquarters at a location in this state from its prior location outside this state.
(2) Corporate headquarters. -- The term "corporate headquarters" means the place at which the corporation has its commercial domicile and from which the business of the corporation is primarily conducted.
(3) Reasonable and necessary expenses incurred to relocate corporate headquarters. -- The phrase "reasonable and necessary expenses incurred to relocate corporate headquarters" means only those expenses incurred and paid by the corporation, to unrelated third parties, to move its corporate headquarters and its corporate headquarters employees to this state that are, upon application by the corporation, determined by the commissioner to have been both reasonable and necessary to effectuate the move.
(4) The corporation. -- For purposes of this section, the term "the corporation" means the corporation for which the corporate headquarters is relocated.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.