(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article to the contrary, except as provided in section five of this article, no entitlement to the economic opportunity tax credit may result from, and no credit is available to any taxpayer for, investment placed in service or use except for taxpayers engaged in the following industries or business activities:
(1) Manufacturing, including, but not limited to, chemical processing and chemical manufacturing, manufacture of wood products and forestry products, manufacture of aluminum, manufacture of paper, paper processing, recyclable paper processing, food processing, commercial hydroponic growing of food crops, manufacture of aircraft or aircraft parts, manufacture of automobiles or automobile parts, and all other manufacturing activities, but not timbering or timber severance or timber hauling, or mineral severance, hauling, processing or preparation, or coal severance, hauling, processing or preparation or synthetic fuel manufacturing taxable under section two-f, article thirteen of this chapter;
(2) Information processing, including, but not limited to, telemarketing, information processing, systems engineering, back office operations and software development;
(3) The activity of warehousing, including, but not limited to, commercial warehousing and the operation of regional distribution centers by manufacturers, wholesalers or retailers;
(4) The activity of goods distribution (exclusive of retail trade);
(5) Destination-oriented recreation and tourism; and
(6) Research and development, as defined in section three of this article.
(b) Notwithstanding the fact that a company, entity or taxpayer is engaged in an industry or business activity enumerated in subsection (a) of this section, the company, entity or taxpayer must qualify for the economic opportunity tax credit by fulfilling the qualified investment, jobs creation and other credit entitlement requirements of this article in order to obtain entitlement to any credit under this article. Failure to fulfill the statutory requirements of this article results in a partial or complete loss of the tax credit.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session