For the purpose of this chapter:
(1) "Commodities" means supplies, material, equipment and any other articles or things used by or furnished to a department, agency or institution of state government.
(2) "Contract" means an agreement between a state spending unit and a vendor relating to the procurement of commodities or services, or both.
(3) "Debarment" means the exclusion of a vendor from the right to bid on contracts to sell goods or supply services to the state or its subdivisions for a specified period of time.
(4) "Director" means the director of the division referred to in the heading of the article in which the word appears.
(5) "Electronic" means electrical, digital, magnetic, optical, electromagnetic or any other similar technology.
(6) "Electronic transmission" or "electronically transmitted" means any process of communication not directly involving the physical transfer of paper that is suitable for the retention, retrieval and reproduction of information by the recipient.
(7) "Expendable commodities" means those commodities which, when used in the ordinary course of business, will become consumed or of no market value within the period of one year or less.
(8) "Grant" means the furnishing of assistance, financial or otherwise, to any person or entity to support a program authorized by law.
(9) "Nonprofit workshops" means an establishment: (A) Where any manufacture or handiwork is carried on; (B) which is operated either by a public agency or by a cooperative or by a nonprofit private corporation or nonprofit association in which no part of the net earnings thereof inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual; (C) which is operated for the primary purpose of providing remunerative employment to blind or severely disabled persons who cannot be absorbed into the competitive labor market; and (D) which shall be approved, as evidenced by a certificate of approval, by the State Board of Vocational Education, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.
(10) "Printing" means printing, binding, ruling, lithographing, engraving and other similar services.
(11) "Procurement" means the buying, purchasing, renting, leasing or otherwise obtaining of commodities or services.
(12) "Public funds" means funds of any character, including federal moneys, belonging to or in the custody of any state spending unit.
(13) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a read-only tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(14) "Removable property" means any personal property not permanently affixed to or forming a part of real estate.
(15) "Request for quotations" means a solicitation for a bid where cost is the primary factor in determining the award.
(16) "Responsible bidder" means a vendor who has the capability to fully perform the contract requirements, and the integrity and reliability which will assure good-faith performance.
(17) "Responsive bidder" means a vendor who has submitted a bid which conforms in all material respects to the bid solicitation.
(18) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Administration.
(19) "Services" means the furnishing of labor, time, expertise or effort, not involving the delivery of a specific end commodity or product other than one that may be incidental to the required performance.
(20) "Spending officer" means the executive head of a spending unit, or a person designated by him or her.
(21) "Spending unit" means a department, bureau, department, division, office, board commission, authority, agency or institution of the state government for which an appropriation is requested of the Governor, or to which an appropriation is made by the Legislature, unless a specific exemption from this chapter is provided in this code.
(22) "The state and its subdivisions" means the State of West Virginia, every political subdivision thereof, every administrative entity that includes such a subdivision, all municipalities and all county boards of education.
(23) "Vendor" means any person or entity that may, through
contract or other means, supply the state or its subdivisions with
commodities or services, and lessors of real property.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.