(b) Temporary registrars and volunteer registrars shall have the same eligibility qualifications as required of election officials and shall be subject to suspension by the same procedures as prescribed for election officials as provided in section twenty- eight, article one of this chapter. Eligibility may be suspended for the following reasons:
(1) Failure to appear at the required time and place or to perform the duties of a registrar as required by law;
(2) Alteration or destruction of a voter registration application;
(3) Improper influence of the choice of party affiliation of a voter, or other improper interference or intimidation relating to the voter's decision to register or not to register to vote; or
(4) Being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or having anything wagered or bet on an election.
(c) Each temporary or volunteer registrar, before beginning the duties of the office, shall take an oath to perform the duties of the office according to law and the oath shall be filed with the clerk of the county commission.
(d) (1) The county commission may appoint temporary registrars to conduct registration as provided in section eight of this article. An equal number of such registrars shall be selected from the two major political parties. The county commission shall notify each county executive committee, in writing, specifying the number of registrars to be appointed, the general schedule of registration activities to be performed, and the date by which the nominations must be received, which date shall be not less than twenty-eight days following the date of the notice. Each executive committee, by majority vote of the committee, may nominate the number of persons needed to serve as registrars and shall submit the nominations in writing to the county commission by the date specified in the notice. The clerk of the county commission shall notify those persons so nominated and appointed. If any person declines to serve or fails to appear, the clerk of the county commission shall fill the vacancy with a qualified person of the same political party.
(2) Temporary registrars shall be compensated at a rate not less than the federal minimum wage and may be reimbursed for mileage traveled between the county courthouse and any temporary registration site.
(e) The clerk of the county commission may appoint volunteer registrars to conduct registration outreach services as provided in section eight of this article. Volunteer registrars shall serve without compensation. At least fourteen days before beginning any registration outreach service to be conducted by volunteer registrars, the clerk shall notify the county commission in writing listing the proposed schedule for all registration outreach activities and the name and party affiliation of each volunteer registrar appointed.