(a) Whenever a medical services provider dispenses a controlled substance listed in Schedule II, III or IV, as established under the provisions of article two of this chapter or whenever a prescription for the controlled substance is filled by: (i) A pharmacist or pharmacy in this state; (ii) a hospital, or other health care facility, for out-patient use; or (iii) a pharmacy or pharmacist licensed by the Board of Pharmacy, but situated outside this state for delivery to a person residing in this state, the medical services provider, health care facility, pharmacist or pharmacy shall, in a manner prescribed by rules promulgated by the Board of Pharmacy under this article, report the following information, as applicable:
(1) The name, address, pharmacy prescription number and Drug Enforcement Administration controlled substance registration number of the dispensing pharmacy or the dispensing physician or dentist;
(2) The full legal name, address and birth date of the person for whom the prescription is written;
(3) The name, address and Drug Enforcement Administration controlled substances registration number of the practitioner writing the prescription;
(4) The name and national drug code number of the Schedule II, III and IV controlled substance dispensed;
(5) The quantity and dosage of the Schedule II, III and IV controlled substance dispensed;
(6) The date the prescription was written and the date filled;
(7) The number of refills, if any, authorized by the prescription;
(8) If the prescription being dispensed is being picked up by someone other than the patient on behalf of the patient, the full legal name, address and birth date of the person picking up the prescription as set forth on the person's government-issued photo identification card shall be retained in either print or electronic form until such time as otherwise directed by rule promulgated by the board of pharmacy; and
(9) The source of payment for the controlled substance dispensed.
(b) The Board of Pharmacy may prescribe by rule promulgated under this article the form to be used in prescribing a Schedule II, III and IV substance if, in the determination of the board, the administration of the requirements of this section would be facilitated.
(c) Products regulated by the provisions of article ten of this chapter shall be subject to reporting pursuant to the provisions of this article to the extent set forth in said article.
(d) Reporting required by this section is not required for a drug administered directly to a patient by a practitioner. Reporting is, however, required by this section for a drug dispensed to a patient by a practitioner: Provided, That the quantity dispensed may not exceed an amount adequate to treat the patient for a maximum of seventy-two hours with no greater than two seventy-two-hour cycles dispensed in any fifteen-day period of time.