§49-5-3a. Informal adjustment counseling by probation officer.
(a) Before a petition is formally filed with the court, the probation officer or other officer of the court designated by it, subject to its direction, may give counsel and advice to the parties with a view to an informal adjustment if it appears:

(1) The admitted facts bring the case within the jurisdiction of the court;

(2) Counsel and advice without an adjudication would be in the best interest of the public and the juvenile; and

(3) The juvenile and his parents, guardian or other custodian consent thereto with knowledge that consent is not obligatory.

(b) The giving of counsel and advice pursuant to this section may not continue longer than six months from the day it is commenced unless extended by the court for an additional period not to exceed six months.