PART I. GENERAL PROVISIONS.
As used in this article:
(1) "Child" means an individual, whether over or under the age
of majority, who is or is alleged to be owed a duty of support by
the individual's parent or who is or is alleged to be the
beneficiary of a support order directed to the parent.
(2) "Child support order" means a support order for a child,
including a child who has attained the age of majority under the
law of the issuing state or foreign country.
(3) "Convention" means the Convention on the International
Recovery of Child Support and Other Forms of Family Maintenance,
concluded at The Hague on November 23, 2007.
(4) "Duty of support" means an obligation imposed or imposable
by law to provide support for a child, spouse or former spouse,
including an unsatisfied obligation to provide support.
(5) "Foreign country" means a country, including a political
subdivision thereof, other than the United States, that authorizes
the issuance of support orders and:
(A) Which has been declared under the law of the United States
to be a foreign reciprocating country;
(B) Which has established a reciprocal arrangement for child
support with this state;
(C) Which has enacted a law or established procedures for the
issuance and enforcement of support orders which are substantially similar to the procedures under this article; or
(D) In which the convention is in force with respect to the
(6) "Foreign support order" means a support order of a foreign
(7) "Foreign tribunal" means a court, administrative agency or
quasi-judicial entity of a foreign country which is authorized to
establish, enforce or modify support orders or to determine
parentage of a child. The term includes a competent authority
under the convention.
(8) "Home state" means the state or foreign country in which
a child lived with a parent or a person acting as parent for at
least six consecutive months immediately preceding the time of
filing of a petition or comparable pleading for support and, if a
child is less than six months old, the state or foreign country in
which the child lived from birth with any of them. A period of
temporary absence of any of them is counted as part of the six-
month or other period.
(9) "Income" includes earnings or other periodic entitlements
to money from any source and any other property subject to
withholding for support under the law of this state.
(10) "Income withholding order" means an order or other legal
process directed to an obligor's source of income as defined by
section 1-240 [§48-1-240] of this chapter to withhold support from
the income of the obligor.
(11) "Initiating tribunal" means the tribunal of a state or
foreign country from which a petition or comparable pleading is
forwarded or in which a petition or comparable pleading is filed
for forwarding to another state or foreign country.
(12) "Issuing foreign country" means the foreign country in
which a tribunal issues a support order or a judgment determining
parentage of a child.
(13) "Issuing state" means the state in which a tribunal
issues a support order or a judgment determining parentage of a
child. (14) "Issuing tribunal" means the tribunal of a state or
foreign country that issues a support order or a judgment
determining parentage of a child.
(15) "Law" includes decisional and statutory law and rules and
regulations having the force of law.
(16) "Obligee" means:
(A) An individual to whom a duty of support is or is alleged
to be owed or in whose favor a support order or a judgment
determining parentage of a child has been issued;
(B) A foreign country, state or political subdivision of a
state to which the rights under a duty of support or support order
have been assigned or which has independent claims based on
financial assistance provided to an individual obligee in place of
(C) An individual seeking a judgment determining parentage of
the individual's child; or
(D) A person that is a creditor in a proceeding under part
(17) "Obligor" means an individual or the estate of a decedent
(A) Owes or is alleged to owe a duty of support;
(B) Is alleged but has not been adjudicated to be a parent of
(C) Is liable under a support order; or
(D) Is a debtor in a proceeding under part VII.
(18) "Outside this state" means a location in another state or
a country other than the United States, whether or not the country
is a foreign country.
(19) "Person" means an individual, corporation, business
trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company,
association, joint venture, public corporation, government or
governmental subdivision, agency or instrumentality or any other
legal or commercial entity.
(20) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a
tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium
and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(21) "Register" means to record in a tribunal of this state a
support order or judgment determining parentage of a child issued
in another state or a foreign country.
(22) "Registering tribunal" means a tribunal in which a
support order or judgment determining parentage of a child is registered.
(23) "Responding state" means a state in which a petition or
comparable pleading for support or to determine parentage of a
child is filed or to which a petition or comparable pleading is
forwarded for filing from another state or a foreign country.
(24) "Responding tribunal" means the authorized tribunal in a
responding state or foreign country.
(25) "Spousal support order" means a support order for a
spouse or former spouse of the obligor.
(26) "State" means a state of the United States, the District
of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any
territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the
United States. The term includes an Indian nation or tribe.
(27) "Support enforcement agency" means a public official or
governmental entity, or private agency authorized to:
(A) Seek enforcement of support orders or laws relating to the
duty of support;
(B) Seek establishment or modification of child support;
(C) Request determination of parentage of a child;
(D) Attempt to locate obligors or their assets; or
(E) Request determination of the controlling child support
(28) "Support order" means a judgment, decree, order, decision
or directive, whether temporary, final or subject to modification,
issued in a state or foreign country for the benefit of a child, a spouse or a former spouse which provides for monetary support,
health care, arrearages, retroactive support or reimbursement for
financial assistance provided to an individual obligee in place of
child support. The term may include related costs and fees,
interest, income withholding, automatic adjustment, reasonable
attorney's fees and other relief.
(29) "Tribunal" means a court, administrative agency or quasi-
judicial entity authorized to establish, enforce or modify support
orders or to determine parentage of a child.