(1) "Authority" means the Water Development Authority provided for in section four of this article, the duties, powers, responsibilities and functions of which are specified in this article.
(2) "Beneficial use" means a use of water by a person or by the general public that is consistent with the public interest, health and welfare in utilizing the water resources of this state, including, but not limited to, domestic, agricultural, irrigation, industrial, manufacturing, mining, power, public, sanitary, fish and wildlife, state, county, municipal, navigational, recreational, aesthetic and scenic use.
(3) "Board" means the Water Development Authority Board provided for in section four of this article, which shall manage and control the Water Development Authority.
(4) "Bond" or "water development revenue bond" means a revenue bond, note or other evidence of indebtedness issued by the Water Development Authority to effect the intents and purposes of this article.
(5) "Construction" includes reconstruction, enlargement, improvement and providing furnishings or equipment.
(6) "Cost" means, as applied to water development projects, the cost of their acquisition and construction; the cost of acquisition of all land, rights-of-way, property rights, easements, franchise rights and interests required by the authority for such acquisition and construction; the cost of demolishing or removing any buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any lands to which such buildings or structures may be moved; the cost of acquiring or constructing and equipping a principal office and suboffices of the authority; the cost of diverting highways, interchange of highways; access roads to private property, including the cost of land or easements therefor; the cost of all machinery, furnishings and equipment; all financing charges and interest prior to and during construction and for no more than eighteen months after completion of construction; the cost of all engineering services and all expenses of research and development with respect to public water facilities, stormwater systems or wastewater facilities; the cost of all legal services and expenses; the cost of all plans, specifications, surveys and estimates of cost and revenues; all working capital and other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of acquiring or constructing any such project; all administrative expenses and such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the acquisition or construction of the project; the financing of such acquisition or construction, including the amount authorized in the resolution of the authority providing for the issuance of water development revenue bonds to be paid into any special funds from the proceeds of such bonds; and the financing of the placing of any such project in operation. Any obligation or expenses incurred by any governmental agency, with the approval of the authority, for surveys, borings, preparation of plans and specifications and other engineering services in connection with the acquisition or construction of a project are a part of the cost of such project and shall be reimbursed out of the proceeds of loans or water development revenue bonds as authorized by the provisions of this article.
(7) "Establishment" means an industrial establishment, mill, factory, tannery, paper or pulp mill, mine, colliery, breaker or mineral processing operation, quarry, refinery, well and each and every industry or plant or works or activity in the operation or process of which industrial wastes or other wastes are produced.
(8) "Governmental agency" means the state government or any agency, department, division or unit thereof; counties; municipalities; watershed improvement districts; soil conservation districts; sanitary districts; public service districts; drainage districts; regional governmental authorities and any other governmental agency, entity, political subdivision, public corporation or agency having the authority to acquire, construct or operate public water facilities, stormwater systems or wastewater facilities; the United States government or any agency, department, division or unit thereof; and any agency, commission or authority established pursuant to an interstate compact or agreement.
(9) "Industrial wastes" means any liquid, gaseous, solid or other waste substance or any combination thereof, resulting from or incidental to any process of industry, manufacturing, trade or business, or from or incidental to the development, processing or recovery of any natural resources; and the admixture with such industrial wastes of sewage or other wastes, as defined in this section, are also industrial wastes.
(10) "Other wastes" means garbage, refuse, decayed wood, sawdust, shavings, bark and other wood debris and residues, sand, lime, cinders, ashes, offal, night soil, silt, oil, tar, dyestuffs, acids, chemicals and all other materials or substances not sewage or industrial wastes which may cause or might reasonably be expected to cause or to contribute to the pollution of any of the waters of this state.
(11) "Owner" includes all persons, copartnerships or governmental agencies having any title or interest in any property rights, easements and interests authorized to be acquired by this article.
(12) "Person" means any public or private corporation, institution, association, firm or company organized or existing under the laws of this or any other state or country; the United States or the State of West Virginia; any federal or state governmental agency; political subdivision; county commission; municipality; industry; sanitary district; public service district; drainage district; soil conservation district; watershed improvement district; partnership; trust; estate; person or individual; group of persons or individuals acting individually or as a group or any other legal entity whatever.
(13) "Pollution" means: (a) The discharge, release, escape, deposit or disposition, directly or indirectly, of treated or untreated sewage, industrial wastes or other wastes, of whatever kind or character, in or near any waters of the state, in such condition, manner or quantity, as does, will or is likely to: (1) contaminate or substantially contribute to the contamination of any of such waters; or (2) alter or substantially contribute to the alteration of the physical, chemical or biological properties of any of such waters, if such contamination or alteration, or the resulting contamination or alteration where a person only contributes thereto, is to such an extent as to make any of such waters: (i) Directly or indirectly harmful, detrimental or injurious to the public health, safety and welfare; or (ii) directly or indirectly detrimental to existing animal, bird, fish, aquatic or plant life; or (iii) unsuitable for present or future domestic, commercial, industrial, agricultural, recreational, scenic or other legitimate uses; and also means (b) the discharge, release, escape, deposit or disposition, directly or indirectly, of treated or untreated sewage, industrial wastes or other wastes, of whatever kind or character, in or near any waters of the state in such condition, manner or quantity, as does, will or is likely to reduce the quality of the waters of the state below the standards established therefor by the United States or any department, agency, board or commission of this state authorized to establish such standards.
(14) "Project" or "water development project" means any public water facility, stormwater system or wastewater facility, the acquisition or construction of which is authorized, in whole or in part, by the Water Development Authority or the acquisition or construction of which is financed, in whole or in part, from funds made available by grant or loan by, or through, the authority as provided in this article, including facilities, the acquisition or construction of which is authorized, in whole or in part, by the Water Development Authority or the acquisition or construction of which is financed, in whole or in part, from funds made available by grant or loan by, or through, the authority as provided in this article, including all buildings and facilities which the authority deems necessary for the operation of the project, together with all property, rights, easements and interest which may be required for the operation of the project, but excluding all buildings and facilities used to produce electricity other than electricity for consumption by the authority in the operation and maintenance of the project.
(15) "Public roads" mean all public highways, roads and streets in this state, whether maintained by the state, county, municipality or other political subdivision.
(16) "Public utility facilities" means public utility plants or installations and includes tracks, pipes, mains, conduits, cables, wires, towers, poles and other equipment and appliances of any public utility.
(17) "Revenue" means any money or thing of value collected by, or paid to, the Water Development Authority as rent, use or service fee or charge for use of, or in connection with, any water development project, or as principal of or interest, charges or other fees on loans, or any other collections on loans made by the Water Development Authority to governmental agencies to finance, in whole or in part, the acquisition or construction of any water development project or projects or other money or property which is received and may be expended for or pledged as revenues pursuant to this article.
(18) "Sewage" means water-carried human or animal wastes from residences, buildings, industrial establishments or other places, together with such groundwater infiltration and surface waters as may be present.
(19) "Stormwater system" means a stormwater system in its entirety or any integral part thereof used to collect, control or dispose of stormwater and an associated stormwater management program. It includes all facilities, structures and natural water courses used for collecting and conducting stormwater to, through and from drainage areas to the points of final outlet, including, but not limited to, any and all of the following: Inlets, conduits, corals, outlets, channels, ponds, drainage ways, easements, water quality facilities, catch basins, ditches, streams, gulches, flumes, culverts, siphons, retention or detention basins, dams, floodwalls, pipes, flood control systems, levies and pumping stations. The term "stormwater system" does not include highways, road and drainage easements or stormwater facilities constructed, owned or operated by the West Virginia Division of Highways.
(20) "Stormwater management program" means those activities associated with the management, operation and maintenance and control of stormwater and stormwater systems and includes, but is not limited to, public education, stormwater and surface runoff water quality improvement, mapping, planning, flood control, inspection, enforcement and any other activities required by state and federal law. The term "stormwater management program" does not include those activities associated with the management, operation, maintenance and control of highways, road and drainage easements or stormwater facilities constructed, owned or operated by the West Virginia Division of Highways without the express agreement of the Commissioner of the Division of Highways.
(21) "Water resources", "water" or "waters" means any and all water on or beneath the surface of the ground, whether percolating, standing, diffused or flowing, wholly or partially within this state, or bordering this state and within its jurisdiction, and includes, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, natural or artificial lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, branches, brooks, ponds (except farm ponds, industrial settling basins and ponds and water treatment facilities), impounding reservoirs, springs, wells and watercourses.
(22) "Wastewater" means any water containing sewage, industrial wastes or other wastes or contaminants derived from the prior use of such water and includes, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, surface water of the type storm sewers are designed to collect and dispose of.
(23) "Wastewater facilities" means facilities for the purpose of treating, neutralizing, disposing of, stabilizing, cooling, segregating or holding wastewater, including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, facilities for the treatment and disposal of sewage, industrial wastes or other wastes, waste water and the residue thereof; facilities for the temporary or permanent impoundment of wastewater, both surface and underground; and sanitary sewers or other collection systems, whether on the surface or underground, designed to transport wastewater together with the equipment and furnishings thereof and their appurtenances and systems, whether on the surface or underground, including force mains and pumping facilities therefor.
(24) "Water facility" means all facilities, land and equipment used for the collection of water, both surface and underground, transportation of water, treatment of water and distribution of water all for the purpose of providing potable, sanitary water suitable for human consumption and use.