(a) In this article, unless the context or subject matter otherwise requires:
(1) "Agricultural production" means the production of any growing grass or crop attached to the surface of the land, whether or not the grass or crop is to be sold commercially, and the production of any farm animals, whether or not the animals are to be sold commercially;
(2) "Drilling operations" means the actual drilling or redrilling of an oil or gas well commenced subsequent to the ninth day of June, one thousand nine hundred eighty-three, and the related preparation of the drilling site and access road, which requires entry, upon the surface estate;
(3) "Oil and gas developer" means the person who secures the drilling permit required by article six of this chapter;
(4) "Person" means any natural person, corporation, firm, partnership, partnership association, venture, receiver, trustee, executor, administrator, guardian, fiduciary or other representative of any kind, and includes any government or any political subdivision or agency thereof;
(5) "Surface estate" means an estate in or ownership of the surface of a particular tract of land overlying the oil or gas leasehold being developed; and
(6) "Surface owner" means a person who owns an estate in fee in the surface of land, either solely or as a co-owner.