§15-1B-5. Surplus officers; resignations.
a. Commissioned officers who shall be rendered surplus by reduction, consolidation, or disbandment of organizations, or in any manner provided by law, may be transferred to the inactive national guard in conformity with applicable rules and regulations prescribed by federal authority, or may be discharged.

b. An officer may tender his resignation or request transfer from the national guard at any time: Provided, That no such resignation shall be accepted unless the officer tendering the same shall furnish the adjutant general from each property accounting officer concerned a certificate that he has delivered all books and other property of the state and federal government in his possession to the person authorized to receive the same, and that his accounts for money or public property are correct, and that he is not indebted to the state or federal military authorities.