HB2402 H R&T AMT 2-27

Reed 3253


The Committee on Roads and Transportation moved to amend the bill by striking out the title and substituting therefor a new title, to read as follows:

H. B. 2402 -- “A BILL to amend and reenact §17-24A-1 and §17-24A-4 of the Code of West Virginia, 1931, as amended; to amend said code by adding thereto a new section, designated §17-24A-6a; and to amend and reenact §17A-4-10 of said code, all relating to abandoned motor vehicles; adding new definitions; establishing a process for automobile auctions to obtain title to and sell motor vehicles abandoned on its premises; creating a special procedure for a person to apply for and receive title to an abandoned antique motor vehicle valued at $7500 or less; providing for the issuance of a Vehicle Removal Certificate to remove an antique motor vehicle from private property with permission of the property owner; providing that the Division of Motor Vehicles to search for the owner and lienholders of the motor vehicle and provide notice of the application for title to the vehicle; creating a procedure for the owner or lienholders to reclaim the vehicle within 30 days of notice of an application for title to the vehicle; establishing fees to accompany an application for title to the vehicle; establishing fees for reclamation of the vehicle by owner or lienholder; creating a misdemeanor offense of interference with a person who has acquired title to an antique motor vehicle attempting to recover the vehicle from private property and establishing penalties upon conviction thereof; directing the division to promulgate rules and forms to effectuate new procedure; allowing an insurance company to obtain a salvage certificate or a cosmetic total loss salvage certificate after paying a total loss claim on a vehicle; and creating a process by which an automobile auction may apply for and obtain a salvage certificate or a nonrepairable motor vehicle certificate for certain vehicles on its property received from an insurer who subsequently denies a claim on the vehicle  or otherwise does not obtain ownership of the vehicle; and providing for indemnity by the applicant to the Division of Motor Vehicles for the erroneous issuance of such title.”