HB4433 S ED AM #1
The Committee on Education moved to amend the bill by striking out everything after the enacting section and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
ARTICLE 2. STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION.
§18-2-34. High school diplomas for surviving veterans of World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam Conflict.
(a) Notwithstanding any provision of this code to the contrary, the state board shall provide for the awarding of a high school diplomas either by the county board in the county in which the veteran resides or the county in which the veteran would have received his or her diploma, whichever location the veteran chooses diploma to any surviving World War I, veteran of World War II, the Korean Conflict or War, or the Vietnam Conflict, veteran who:
(1) Left school prior to graduation and served in the Armed Forces of the United States; Provided, That a veteran of the Korean Conflict or the Vietnam Conflict must have been attending high school at the time he or she left prior to graduating and served in the Armed Forces of the United States;
(2) Did not receive a high school diploma;
(3) Was discharged from the armed services forces under honorable conditions; and
(4) Completes the application process as provided by the joint rules of the state board and the veterans’ council.
(b) The state board and the veterans’ council, created in article one, chapter nine-a of this code, shall jointly propose rules for the identification of eligible veterans and for the awarding of high school diplomas. The rules shall provide for an application process and the credentials required to receive the a high school diplomas diploma.
(c) A diploma shall be awarded by the county board in the county in which the veteran resides or in the county in which the veteran would have received his or her diploma, whichever location the veteran chooses.
(c) (d) For purposes of this section:
(1) "World War I veteran" means any veteran who:
(A) Performed wartime service between April 6, 1917, and November 11, 1918; or
(B) Has been awarded the World War I Victory Medal;
(2) "World War II veteran" means any veteran who performed wartime service between September 16, 1940, and December 31, 1946;
(3) (2) "Korean Conflict War veteran" means any veteran who performed military service between June 27, 1950, and January 31, 1955; and
(4) (3) "Vietnam Conflict veteran" means any veteran who performed military service between February 28, 1961, and May 7, 1975.