HB4257 H JUD AM 2-24 #1
The Committee on the Judiciary moves to amend the bill on page one, following the enacting section, by striking out the remainder of the bill and inserting in lieu thereof the following language:
“ARTICLE 2. REGISTRATION OF VOTERS.
§3-2-6a. Extended time for certain persons to register in person.
(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of section six of this article, the following persons are entitled to register to vote, in person, at the office of the clerk of the county commission up to, but not including, the day of the election:
(1) Any member of a uniformed service of the United States, as defined in 42 U.S.C. § 1973ff-6 (7), who is on active duty;
(2) Any member of a uniformed service of the United States, as defined in 42 U.S.C. § 1973ff-6 (7), who is discharged from active duty during the sixty days immediately preceding the election;
(3) Any member of the Merchant Marine of the United States;
(4) Any person who, by reason of employment or study, resides temporarily outside of the United States and who provides appropriate documentation of their employment or study as prescribed by the Secretary of State; and
(5) Any spouse or dependent residing with a person listed in subdivisions (1), (2), (3) or (4) of this subsection.
(b) The provisions of subsection (a) apply only to those persons who are otherwise qualified to register and who, by reason of such active duty or temporary overseas residency:
(1) Are normally absent from the county in which they reside; or
(2) Have been absent from such county and returned to reside there during the twenty-one days immediately preceding the election.
(c) A person qualifying and registering to vote pursuant to this section, after the close of voter registration set forth in section six, article two of this chapter, shall be required to cast a provisional ballot and that provisional ballot shall be counted during the canvass of the election, unless the voter is determined by the Clerk of the County Commission to otherwise fail to meet the eligibility requirements for voter registration.
(d) The Secretary of State shall prescribe procedures for the addition of persons registered under this section to the lists of registered voters.”