Court of Claims - Summary of Jurisdiction
The Court has exclusive jurisdiction in the following matters:
- All claims against the State founded upon any State law or regulation other than
Compensation claims; claims within the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Employment
claims under the West Virginia National Guards Act; and those claims covered by the
insurance and defined as being within the coverage provisions of such insurance.
See W.Va. Code §14-2-14
- All claims under the Crime Victims Compensation Act.
- All construction contract claims against the State.
- All contract claims against the State.
- All compensation claims against the State for time unjustly served in West Virginia
by innocent persons.
- All damage claims against the State for torts. Specifically included are all tort claims
against the Board of Trustees of the University System and the Board of Directors of
- All claims for damages caused by escaped inmates of State institutions.
- All other claims against the State under related statutes.
All CLAIMS FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE MUST BE FILED
WITH THE COURT WITHIN TWO YEARS OF THE DATE OF THE INCIDENT.
CONTRACT CLAIMS MAY HAVE CONTRACTUAL TIME FRAMES FOR FILING
CLAIMS WITH THE COURT. See W. VA. Code §14-2-21.