(b) The goals of developing community-based corrections programs include:
(1) Allowing individual counties or combinations of a county or counties and a Class I or II municipality greater flexibility and involvement in responding to the problem of crime in their communities;
(2) Providing more effective protection of society and promoting efficiency and economy in the delivery of correctional services;
(3) Providing increased opportunities for offenders to make restitution to victims of crime through financial reimbursement;
(4) Permitting counties or combinations of a county or counties and a Class I or II municipality to operate programs specifically designed to meet the rehabilitative needs of offenders;
(5) Providing appropriate sentencing alternatives with the goal of reducing the incidence of repeat offenders;
(6) Permitting counties or combinations of a county or counties and a Class I or II municipality to designate community-based programs to address local criminal justice needs;
(7) Diverting offenders from the state regional jail or correctional facilities by punishing them with community-based sanctions, thereby reserving state regional jail or correctional facilities for those offenders who are deemed to be most dangerous to the community; and
(8) Promoting accountability of offenders to their community.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.