(a) Any person desiring a license under this article shall file a written application for a license with the commissioner and in the application shall state under oath:
(1) The name of the applicant, including his or her trade name if any, his or her address and the length of his or her residence within this state;
(2) The address of the place of business for which the license is desired, or other description that definitely locates it; and that the place of business conforms to all health and fire laws and regulations applicable thereto;
(3) The name of the owner of the premises upon which the business is to be conducted and, if the owner is not the applicant, that such applicant is the bona fide lessee of the business;
(4) If the application is for a retailer's license, that the applicant is the proprietor or owner of a bona fide grocery store, private wine bed and breakfast, private wine restaurant, private wine spa or wine specialty shop;
(5) That the applicant intends to carry on the business authorized by the license for himself or herself or under his or her immediate supervision or direction;
(6) That the applicant is a citizen of the United States;
(7) That the applicant is an actual bona fide resident of the State of West Virginia, except for those applicants applying for a supplier's license or a direct shipper's license;
(8) That the applicant is not less than eighteen years of age;
(9) That the applicant has not been convicted of a felony or other crime involving moral turpitude within the three years next preceding the filing of the application; and that he or she has not, within the two years next preceding the filing of the application, been convicted of violating the liquor laws of any state or of the United States;
(10) That the applicant has not during the five years next preceding the date of said application had any license revoked under this chapter or under the liquor laws of any other state;
(11) If the applicant is a firm, association, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company or corporation, the application shall state the matters required in subdivisions (6), (7), (8), (9) and (10), with respect to each of the members thereof, and each of said members must meet all the requirements in said subdivisions;
(12) If the applicant is a corporation, organized or authorized to do business in this state, the application shall state the matters required in subdivisions (6), (7), (8), (9) and (10), with respect to each of the officers and directors thereof, and any stockholder owning twenty percent or more of the stock of such corporation and the persons who conduct and manage the licensed premises for the corporation. Each of said individuals must meet all the requirements provided in those subdivisions except that the requirements as to citizenship and residence shall not apply to the officers, directors and stockholders of a corporation applying for a retailer's license; and
(13) If the applicant is a trust or has a trust as an owner, the trustees or other persons in active control of the activities of the trust relating to the license shall provide a certification of trust as described in section one thousand thirteen, article ten, chapter forty-four-d of this code. This certification of trust shall include the excerpts described in subsection (e), section one thousand thirteen, article ten, chapter forty-four-d of this code and shall further state, under oath, the names, addresses, Social Security numbers and birth dates of the beneficiaries of the trust and certify that the trustee and beneficiaries are twenty-one years of age or older. If a beneficiary is not twenty-one years of age, the certification of trust must state that the beneficiary's interest in the trust is represented by a trustee, parent or legal guardian who is twenty-one years of age and who will direct all actions on behalf of the beneficiary related to the trust with respect to the distributor until the beneficiary is twenty-one years of age. Any beneficiary who is not twenty-one years of age or older shall have his or her trustee, parent or legal guardian include in the certification of trust and state under oath his or her name, address, social security number and birth date.
(14) Any other information that the commissioner may reasonably require.
The foregoing statements required in an application are mandatory prerequisites for the issuance of a license.
The application must be verified by the owner, or in the case of a firm, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, association or trust, the members, officers, trustees or other persons in active control of the activities of the limited liability company, association or trust relating to the license. The application of a corporation applying for a retailer's license need be verified only by its president or vice president.
(b) In the case of an applicant that is a trust or has a trust as an owner, a distributor license may be issued only upon submission by the trustees or other persons in active control of the activities of the trust relating to the distributor license of a true and correct copy of the written trust instrument to the commissioner for his or her review. Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the copy of the written trust instrument submitted to the commissioner pursuant to this section is confidential and is not a public record and is not available for release pursuant to the West Virginia Freedom of Information Act codified in article one, chapter twenty-nine-b of this code.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.