(b) It is the purpose of the Legislature in providing for the retail sale of liquor to:
(1) Continue revenue to the state from the wholesale sale of liquor by requiring all retail licensees to purchase all liquor (other than wine) from the commissioner and by further requiring all private clubs licensed under the provisions of article seven of this chapter to purchase all liquor (other than wine) from retail licensees;
(2) Provide a system of controls, through limitations on the numbers of retail outlets and application of the police power of the state, to discourage the intemperate use of liquor;
(3) Preserve and continue the tax base of counties and municipalities derived from the retail sale of liquor;
(4) Obtain revenue for the state from the issuance of retail licenses;
(5) Facilitate the responsible marketing and growth of existing retail outlets; and
(6) Encourage the sale of liquor in freestanding liquor retail outlets that offer a wide variety of liquor at competitive prices.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session