(1) Marriages that are prohibited by law on account of either of the parties having a wife or husband of a prior marriage, when the prior marriage has not been terminated by divorce, annulment or death;
(2) Marriages that are prohibited by law on account of consanguinity or affinity between the parties;
(3) Marriages solemnized when either of the parties:
(A) Was an insane person, idiot or imbecile;
(B) Was afflicted with a venereal disease;
(C) Was incapable, because of natural or incurable impotency of the body, of entering into the marriage state;
(D) Was under the age of consent; or
(E) Had been, prior to the marriage and without the knowledge of the other party, convicted of an infamous offense;
(4) Marriages solemnized when, at the time of the marriage, the wife, without the knowledge of the husband:
(A) Was with child by some person other than the husband; or
(B) Had been, prior to the marriage, notoriously a prostitute; or
(5) Marriages solemnized when, prior to the marriage, the husband, without the knowledge of the wife, had been notoriously a licentious person.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.