(1) "Court" means a circuit court, family court or magistrate court which has jurisdiction over domestic violence proceedings pursuant to article twenty-seven of this chapter.
(2) "Foreign protection order" means a protection order issued by a tribunal of another state.
(3) "Issuing state" means the state whose tribunal issues a protection order.
(4) "Mutual foreign protection order" means a foreign protection order that includes provisions in favor of both the protected individual seeking enforcement of the order and the respondent.
(5) "Protected individual" means an individual protected by a protection order.
(6) "Protection order" means an injunction or other order, issued by a tribunal under the domestic violence, family violence or antistalking laws of the issuing state, to prevent an individual from engaging in violent or threatening acts against, harassment of, contact or communication with, or physical proximity to another individual.
(7) "West Virginia protective order" means an order issued pursuant to article twenty-seven of this chapter or to section five hundred nine, article five of this chapter.
(8) "Respondent" means the individual against whom enforcement of a protection order is sought.
(9) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. The term includes an Indian tribe or band that has jurisdiction to issue protection orders.
(10) "Tribunal" means a court, agency or other entity authorized by law to issue or modify a protection order.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.