(1) Be appointed by the secretary;
(2) Serve at the will and pleasure of the secretary;
(3) Serve on a full-time basis and shall not engage in any other profession or occupation, including the holding of a political office in the state either by election or appointment, while serving as commissioner;
(4) Be a lawyer licensed by, and in good standing with, the West Virginia State Bar; and
(5) Have responsible administrative experience, possess management skills and have knowledge of the law as it relates to domestic relations and the establishment and enforcement of support obligations.
Before entering upon the discharge of the duties as commissioner, the commissioner shall take and subscribe to the oath of office prescribed in section five, article IV of the Constitution of West Virginia.
(b) The duties of the commissioner shall include the following:
(1) To direct and administer the daily operations of the Bureau for Child Support Enforcement;
(2) To administer the Child Support Enforcement Fund created pursuant to section one hundred seven of this article;
(3) To chair the commission set forth in article seventeen of this chapter for the purpose of conducting the federally required review of the child support formula every four years and make a report to the Legislative Oversight Commission on Health and Human Resources Accountability of the commission's findings;
(4) To keep the records and papers of the commission, including a record of each proceeding; and
(5) To prepare, issue and submit reports of the commission.
(c) All payments to the commissioner as compensation shall be made from the Child Support Enforcement Fund. The commissioner is entitled to:
(1) A reasonable and competitive compensation package to be established by the secretary; and
(2) Reimbursement for expenses under the standard state travel regulations.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.