(a) When a support order or income withholding order issued in another state or a foreign support order is registered, the clerk of the court shall notify the nonregistering party. The notice must be accompanied by a copy of the registered order and the documents and relevant information accompanying the order.
(b) A notice must inform the nonregistering party:
(1) That a registered order is enforceable as of the date of registration in the same manner as an order issued by a tribunal of this state;
(2) That a hearing to contest the validity or enforcement of the registered order must be requested within twenty days after notice unless the registered order is under section 707 [§48-16- 707];
(3) That failure to contest the validity or enforcement of the registered order in a timely manner will result in confirmation of the order and enforcement of the order and the alleged arrearages; and
(4) Of the amount of any alleged arrearages.
(c) If the registering party asserts that two or more orders are in effect, a notice must also:
(1) Identify the two or more orders and the order alleged by the registering party to be the controlling order and the consolidated arrears, if any;
(2) Notify the nonregistering party of the right to a determination of which is the controlling order;
(3) State that the procedures provided in subsection (b) of this section apply to the determination of which is the controlling order; and
(4) State that failure to contest the validity or enforcement of the order alleged to be the controlling order in a timely manner may result in confirmation that the order is the controlling order.
(d) Upon registration of an income withholding order for enforcement, the support enforcement agency or the registering tribunal shall notify the obligor's source of income pursuant to section 14-401 et seq. [§48-14-401 et seq.], of this chapter.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.