(1) Modification of the product UPC code to include a visible mark printed at or around the area of the UPC code. The mark may consist of alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently stamped, engraved, embossed or printed in conjunction with the UPC;
(2) Any visible combination of alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently stamped, engraved or embossed upon the cigarette package or cellophane wrap; or
(3) Printed, stamped, engraved or embossed text that indicates that the cigarettes meet the standards of this article.
(b) A manufacturer shall use only one marking and shall apply this marking uniformly for all packages, including, but not limited to, packs, cartons and cases, and brands marketed by that manufacturer.
(c) The State Tax Commissioner shall be notified as to the marking that is selected.
(d) Prior to the certification of any cigarette, a manufacturer shall submit its proposed marking to the State Tax Commissioner for approval. Upon receipt of the request, the State Tax Commissioner shall approve or disapprove the marking offered, except that the State Tax Commissioner shall approve:
(1) Any marking in use and approved for sale in another state; or
(2) The letters "FSC", which signifies fire standards compliant, appearing in eight-point type or larger and permanently printed, stamped, engraved or embossed on the package at or near the UPC code.
(e) A manufacturer shall not modify its approved marking unless the modification has been approved by the State Tax Commissioner in accordance with this section.
(f) Manufacturers certifying cigarettes in accordance with section four of this article shall provide a copy of the certifications to all wholesale dealers and agents to which they sell cigarettes and shall also provide sufficient copies of an illustration of the package marking used by the manufacturer pursuant to this section for each retail dealer to which the wholesale dealers or agents sell cigarettes. Wholesale dealers and agents shall provide a copy of these package markings received from manufacturers to all retail dealers to which they sell cigarettes. Wholesale dealers, agents and retail dealers shall permit the State Tax Commissioner and its agents to inspect markings of cigarette packaging marked in accordance with this section.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.