(1) "Bulk electronic mail message" means an electronic mail message sent in bulk to users of an interactive computer service who have not requested or solicited the message. Unauthorized for purposes of a bulk electronic mail message, means a bulk electronic mail message sent in quantity in contravention of the authorization granted by or in violation of the policies or contractual rights of the electronic mail service provider.
(2) "Electronic mail address" means a destination, commonly expressed as a string of characters, to which electronic mail may be sent or delivered.
(3) "Initiate the transmission" means the action by the original sender of an electronic mail message, not the action by any intervening interactive computer service that may handle or retransmit the message.
(4) "Interactive computer service" means any information service, system, or access software provider that provides or enables computer access by multiple users to a computer server, including specifically a service or system that provides access to the internet.
(5) "Internet domain name" means a globally unique, hierarchical reference to an internet host or service, assigned through centralized internet naming authorities, comprising a series of character strings separated by periods, with the right-most string specifying the top of the hierarchy.
(6) "Person" means any individual, corporation, partnership, association, limited liability company or any other form or business association.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.