A credit services organization, a salesperson, agency or representative of a credit services organization or an independent contractor who sells or attempts to sell the services of a credit services organization may not:
(1) Charge a buyer or receive from a buyer money or other valuable consideration before completing performance of all services the credit services organization has agreed to perform for the buyer, unless the credit services organization has obtained in accordance with section four of this article a surety bond in the amount required by section four of this article issued by a surety company authorized to do business in this state or established and maintained a surety account at a federally insured bank or savings and loan association located in this state in which the amount required is held in trust as required by section four of this article;
(2) Charge a buyer or receive from a buyer money or other valuable consideration solely for referral of the buyer to a retail seller who will or may extend credit to the buyer if the credit that is or will be extended to the buyer is substantially the same as that available to the general public from other sources;
(3) Make or use a false or misleading representation in the offer or sale of the services of a credit services organization, including:
(A) Guaranteeing to "erase bad credit" or words to that effect unless the representation clearly discloses that this can be done only if the credit history is inaccurate or obsolete; and
(B) Guaranteeing an extension of credit regardless of the person's previous credit problem or credit history unless the representation clearly discloses the eligibility requirements for obtaining an extension of credit.
(4) Engage, directly or indirectly, in an unfair or deceptive act, practice, or course of business in connection with the offer or sale of the services of a credit services organization;
(5) Make, or advise a buyer to make a statement with respect to a buyer's credit worthiness, credit standing, or credit capacity that is false or misleading or that should be known by the exercise of reasonable care to be false or misleading, to a consumer reporting agency or to a person who has extended credit to a buyer or to whom a buyer is applying for an extension of credit;
(6) Advertise or cause to be advertised, in any manner whatsoever, the services of a credit services organization without filing a registration statement with the secretary of state, unless otherwise provided by this chapter.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session