(1) "Charitable purpose" means the relief of poverty, the advancement of education or religion, the promotion of health, the promotion of a governmental purpose, or any other purpose the achievement of which is beneficial to the community.
(2) "Endowment fund" means an institutional fund or part thereof that, under the terms of a gift instrument, is not wholly expendable by the institution on a current basis. The term does not include assets that an institution designates as an endowment fund for its own use.
(3) "Gift instrument" means a record or records, including an institutional solicitation, under which property is granted to, transferred to, or held by or on behalf of an institution as an institutional fund.
(4) "Institution" means:
(A) A person, other than an individual, organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes;
(B) A government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, to the extent that it holds funds exclusively for a charitable purpose;
(C) A trust that had both charitable and noncharitable interests, after all noncharitable interests have terminated; and
(D) A community foundation or community trust.
(5) "Institutional fund" means a fund held by an institution exclusively for charitable purposes. The term does not include:
(A) Program-related assets;
(B) A fund held for an institution by a trustee that is not an institution, unless the fund is held exclusively for the benefit of either a community foundation or community trust by a bank, a trust company or other similar fiduciary; or
(C) A fund in which a beneficiary that is not an institution has an interest, other than an interest that could arise upon violation or failure of the purposes of the fund.
(6) "Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(7) "Program-related asset" means an asset held by an institution primarily to accomplish a charitable purpose of the institution and not primarily for investment.
(8) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(9) "Community foundation" or "community trust" means an institution that has been established to attract contributions for the benefit of a particular community or area whose contributions are often received and maintained in the form of separate trusts or funds which are subject to varying degrees of control by the governing body of the community foundation or community trust and which the governing body in good faith believes meets the requirements of the regulations issued by the Internal Revenue Service, United States Department of Treasury, presently codified as 26 CFR 1.170A-9(e)(10) and (11), to qualify as a "publicly supported" organization and to be treated as a "single entity" rather than as an aggregation of separate funds.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.